2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Engine won't start

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 04:43 PM
Bourquin's
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Engine won't start

I've posted before, i think, im not sure if im doing this right, im new to this forum...but i need help, my original post:

my 98 ram 1500 5.9 wont start, woke up one morning and it just wouldnt start. I hoocked up scanner i had code 300, 301, 306; multi-misfire cyl1 misfire cyl6 misfire, i replaced cap and rotor, spark plugs, wires, and coil still wouldnt start. Towed it to dealership they said it was fuel pump problem, so i brought it back to my house replaced it and still nothing, i have aprox. 50 psi fuel pressure, good spark, compression is about 120 psi average, put no.1 cyl on TDC and rotor was pointing to no.1 wire, so dont think it was timing. checked cam and crank sensor, no broken wires or dirty, would they show up on scanner if malfunctioning? i dont know what else to do, im stompped.....can anyone help?

please if anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Old 11-17-2009, 04:48 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

All sensors connected?
Spark plugs routed properly? You don't state if this no-start occurred before or after the no-start issue.
Fuses? Check all?
Relays? Check the big relay box under the hood with the other fuses as well.

Old 11-17-2009, 05:02 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm guessing you didn't get help with your first post vecause A) you posted it in the new member forum where it didn't belong, and B) you used a similarly vague title as this post (I have since changed it). We prefer members not use titles like yours because they are often ignored and because they have no value in a search.

There are lots of reasons why a vehicle won't start. The first things to look for are whether you have spark and fuel. There are a number of threads that might help you that can be found by doing a search. Good luck.

Old 11-17-2009, 06:25 PM
Bourquin's

i have spark and fuel, i had all this before i started changing things, i checked spark plug wires firing order too many times to count to make sure i didnt screw them up, only reason i changed coil is cuz a buddy suggested it, and fuel pump, cuz dealer said that was problem, dont know what is going had no symptoms when i parked it, and then following day, had no start. and thats where my journey began.

Old 11-17-2009, 06:26 PM
Bourquin's

and i have checked all fuses, under dash, and under hood, same with relays, have good continuity, thats why im stompped, good spark fuel and timing, any suggestions?

Old 11-17-2009, 06:35 PM
Mega-Hemi
Record Breaker

spray something in the intake while you're cranking it, thiss will tell weather you're looking at a fuel or spark issue.

Old 11-17-2009, 06:44 PM
Bourquin's

tried spraying with starting fluid (pyroil), had no affect, if i turn key to run position and cycle a bit before i crank, it will studder a bit like its gonna fire, then just stop and keep cranking, every once in a while, it will run for like half a second, then just cut out and keeps cranking, had fuel pressure gauge on it while cranking, and pressure stays constant., same with spark (in-line spark tester used) never stops sparking, and injectors are pulsing (tested with noid light) to make sure they were firing, put brand new injectors in today as well, still no result.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:25 PM
Miami_Son
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't understand what it could be if you have consistent spark and fuel supply. I want to say your PCM might be bad, but if you have spark...Have you checked your cylinder compression? You might have a dead cylinder or two.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:34 PM
Cheat
Veteran

My viper done this to me once. Just hold the pedel to the floor. And start it And it will prob try to die if you let off to much. Hold it around 2K if it starts and leave it around 2K for a min or so. Then it will idel. Atleast thats what i had to do.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:35 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bourquin's
i have spark and fuel, i had all this before i started changing things, i checked spark plug wires firing order too many times to count to make sure i didnt screw them up, only reason i changed coil is cuz a buddy suggested it, and fuel pump, cuz dealer said that was problem, dont know what is going had no symptoms when i parked it, and then following day, had no start. and thats where my journey began.
You screwed something up. Also, your "buddy" did you no favors. Rather than diagnosing the problem, he's telling you to swap parts until something gets fixed; therefore, you spend a ton of money and don't fix something -- OR -- you keep spending money until *BAM* it works.

Quick Reply: Engine won't start