2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

just move the iat sensor! for permanent cold air!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 06:00 PM
dodgeman2289
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default just move the iat sensor! for permanent cold air!

cold air intake or the hot air intakes.. doesnt matter just move ut iat sensor into the air intake system and plug it back in.. will always read ur getting cold air. mine reads 80-100 degrees all the time.. before it was reading 120-160 all the time i live in florida so its always hot. i got my intake off somone and he included the new iat sensor.. so i still have my old one in the engine and i can choose weather iw ant good gas millage ill plug it back into motor and if i want more power i plug it into the intake!

Old 04-24-2011, 06:40 PM
redheadhunter21
Champion

Not a good idea

Old 04-24-2011, 06:44 PM
dodgeman2289
Captain

Originally Posted by redheadhunter21
Not a good idea
how so. Ive done it and numerous other doge owners have done it. Where i got the idea from

Old 04-24-2011, 07:00 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 Red. It tricks you PCM into thinking it's cold outside, thus dumping more fuel in the engine giving you though presumption that you have more power. Only do that relocation if you have the Hughes Airgap FI installed.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:28 PM
drewactual
Champion

if'n i were you, i'd be puttin that iat back into the manifold, and looking somewhere else to nab a couple ponies.. the PCM is going to figure out something is wrong anyway, and when it comes to a/f, the o2's have the final say.. it will in essence ignore the iat's data after a while..

Old 04-24-2011, 09:21 PM
J415
Champion

Very good point Drew

Old 04-24-2011, 10:35 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Uh, what drewactual said.

The net effect of the IAT relocation is a richer mixture during open loop modes. If you've got some mild WOT pinging it might alleviate it, but it might also come at the cost of greater combustion chamber carbon deposition during warm-up.

Myself, I'm keeping the IAT downstream of the throttle body even if I should some day decide to install the FI Airgap. I'd rather go further than faster.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:23 AM
dodgeman2289
Captain

thanks.. i guess that wut was going on when my truck was cold hasnt heated up yet i started getting on it and alittle over 4k rpms started back firing.. ive since changed it back.. i guess ill only do that if i take it down the track or if i race someone realy quick...

Old 04-25-2011, 07:43 AM
Agostage
Professional

This is interesting. I relocated mine onto the KN FIPK tube years ago without issues. Maybe I should put it back I guess.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:16 AM
drewactual
Champion

I did some reading on the IAT a little while back.. It's funny, because it is really hard to find out precisely what it does and when it does it.. it does have bearing on a/f, but it's difficult to determine how much..

let's say it does dump fuel because it thinks the air is cooler (or maybe even because the air is cooler).. what good does that do you? A richer engine doesn't produce as much gitty-up as a lean engine.. it's only dumping fuel because cooler/denser air is tougher to ignite than warmer/less dense air...

One thing for certain the IAT WILL do if it isn't reading somewhat correctly: it will throw at you a p1281.. Engine too cool for too long.. And you will chase your tail trying to figure out what is wrong with your cooling system until you stumble across that, and most likely by accident..

and another thing about the IAT that surprised me: they may or may not be sending good information as it is.. the parameters they work in are pretty broad is my guess.. if you unhook it you should get an instant code- but that doesn't mean the sensor is in optimum condition, it just means the PCM knows it's plugged in..

as far as having it moved from the manifold- I have mine in the air-hat because of the FI.. I don't think it's harming a thing there- and because the o2's have the final say in a/f ratio.. but that doesn't mean the PCM is tickled about conflicting information either.

Quick Reply: just move the iat sensor! for permanent cold air!