2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Paint Job on my 1997 Dodge Ram

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 02:07 AM
garam
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 05-24-2011, 03:21 AM
99dodge318
Record Breaker

that guy in the article painted his 69 charger with a roller brush and it looks awesome!

Old 05-24-2011, 10:26 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 06-27-2011, 06:49 PM
JasonB
Professional

Hi guys......... just a followup to my old thread. Went out and bought a cheap orbital buffer and some Dupont "heavy duty" rubbing compound. Spent quite a few hours on the hood of my '97 Ram....... and believe it or not most of the "cloudiness" (best word I can think of) was removed. There are still some places on the hood which have the "slightly" cloudy look. Any suggestions about what I can use as a slightly more aggressive compound ..... without stripping all the paint.

Thanks......... Jason.......

Old 06-27-2011, 09:25 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Heavy duty is probably about as rude as you wanna get, otherwise, you may scrub the clearcoat right off.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:19 AM
garam
Professional

Some times there's not much else you can do. I would hate to tell you to try something else only to burn through the paint with it. Once you burn through... it gets harder to fix it right.

On some paint damage like scratches etc you can wet sand the scratch out, buff it, polish it and then wax it to a like new shine. The problem with with it is you're sanding layers of paint off every step of the way. Even the buffing and polishing compounds like you have been using acts like a very fine grit sandpaper taking fine layers of paint off each time.
So with that in mind and if you really do want to get more aggressive with it you could try wet sanding it with 2000 grit or better sandpaper then going back over it with the rubbing compound. But be very careful doing that! It's very easy to burn through paint especially on corners, curves and seems.

I would try a polishing compound (not as aggressive as the heavy duty stuff) then waxing it really well. Just my opinion.
Good luck!

BTW if you do feel brave enough to try wet sanding it get a wet sanding sponge from an auto paint supply store. Get some water in a bucket and add a tad bit of plain Jane dish detergent to the water . The detergent acts like a lubricant. Soak the sand paper for a little bit then wrap it evenly around the sponge.
While wet sanding keep the paper wet. If it starts to stick dip it in the bucket of water.

Here's a video for an example. Note he uses a spray bottle which is fine too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56cq1...eature=related

Last edited by garam; 06-28-2011 at 12:50 AM.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:44 PM
bobkatgreg82
Cool My 1997 Dodge Ram 2500

Hello,
My truck has been a hard worker ever since we bought her new, has over 250,000 miles from criss-crossing the country, pulling a travel trailer. The truck has red paint with silver accent. About 8-10 years ago the paint started fading and peeling. In fact it is totally gone from the hood, roof and sides, in fact you can see the rust now on the roof and hood. I have had repainting estimates which average around $6,000. Am a disabled Vietnam veteran and my meager income does not support any repainting jobs!! Are there any "recalls" on this particular year's paint problems? Would like to know what can be done? I don't want to trade her in, she's my "baby"!!

Old 12-16-2014, 10:45 PM
armynurse
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bobkatgreg82
Hello,
My truck has been a hard worker ever since we bought her new, has over 250,000 miles from criss-crossing the country, pulling a travel trailer. The truck has red paint with silver accent. About 8-10 years ago the paint started fading and peeling. In fact it is totally gone from the hood, roof and sides, in fact you can see the rust now on the roof and hood. I have had repainting estimates which average around $6,000. Am a disabled Vietnam veteran and my meager income does not support any repainting jobs!! Are there any "recalls" on this particular year's paint problems? Would like to know what can be done? I don't want to trade her in, she's my "baby"!!
I just had my truck (and topper) repainted (minus the inside of the bed) and it came to $2400. If your truck has been a good truck, is mechanically sound and you want to keep it a while longer, you probably should just bite the bullet and get a good paint job. Think of it as part of regular maintenance.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...k-a-color.html

Old 12-19-2014, 01:28 PM
gertie240
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have seen quite a few trucks painted all the way with bed liner. If my truck wasn't white and was faded bad I would go that way. I used to have a beater 55 that never got anything more than rattle can red oxide primer. Do they make white bed liner?

Old 12-19-2014, 01:35 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think you can get it in any colour you want, I have seen red, slime green, blue.

Quick Reply: Paint Job on my 1997 Dodge Ram