2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hesitation? Misfire? Vibration under light load

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 02:04 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a missfire problem with my 1996 with acceleration that was not a consistent misfire, but made the truck run like garbage. I DID get codes. I brought it to a mechanic shop. They were really busy and could not take the truck in but he took 15 mins to take a look at it (even hooked up a scanner).

Here is what he noticed:
1. The wire from the coil to the dist "should be in the valley between the head and the intake." That is true and it was laying pretty close to the other wires.
2. THE MOST IMPORTANT: The small wire clips on the fuel injector connectors (EV1) were missing from the injectors corresponding to the miss cylinders. He said that those small, insignifigant looking wire clips are important to ensure a tight seal on the connectors. He advised me that there would be a miss "every time" without them. So, I got new pigtails and the problem was solved.

I made a thread about it.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:17 PM
97ramtruck
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, my last post stated that the colder autolites fixed the light load misfire problem. I was correct in that it was running great immediately after changing the spark plugs (as I believe it has in the past when I've changed the plugs) but a few days after changing them it started doing the same thing and running rough under light load. Why would brand new spark plugs cause it to run well for a 100 miles or so and then start running rough again? The spark plugs look normal. Could all this be because I have a weak spark due a failing coil and the brand new spark plugs work well enough to utilize whatever juice the coil is putting out and then after they get used a little bit, they aren't able to use the weak coils energy efficiently enough? OR... Could it be running well after I change the spark plugs etc. because I disconnect the negative battery terminal (which resets the ecu?) and then after the computer "learns", it isn't using the info correctly?

Old 03-16-2012, 02:24 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Good theory. And wouldn't surprise me at all. How's your plenum, and how old are your O2 sensors?

Old 08-05-2012, 12:15 AM
It's Me Patt
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

love how these threads just end..it's like someone ripped out the last few pages of an important book and you do get to find out.......

Old 08-05-2012, 12:07 PM
97ramtruck

I should have closed this it earlier. I never figured out what the problem was and I ended up selling my truck and buying a 1969 Dodge D200 sweptline.

Old 08-05-2012, 12:08 PM
97ramtruck

My o2 sensors were fine and I had replaced the plenum gasket

Old 03-29-2013, 12:06 PM
ccd1977
Professional

Originally Posted by CPTAFW163

I made a thread about it.
I kow this is an old thread but where is the thread you wrote about it? I would like to read it.

thanks.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:29 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ccd1977
I kow this is an old thread but where is the thread you wrote about it? I would like to read it.

thanks.
He has not been here for a long time. Search his name and posts/threads he made.

Old 07-02-2015, 07:03 PM
thlamers
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile "97 Ram Truck", Spot ON Re "Hesitation Backfire"

My 1999 Ram Van Wagon 5.2 Started hesitating, back firing and loosing power whenever it went to closed loop. No Check Engine Light. Tried many details re intake and ignition but sure enough it was a bad upstream O2 sensor. New OEM type at AutoZone $53!

Thank You for the wisdom,

Tom LaMers
New one-piece intake manifold.

Old 10-24-2016, 04:52 PM
louie!
Default same problem vibration at 45

Originally Posted by 97ramtruck
I have a 1997 Ram 1500 w/ 5.9l V8. Things have improved after replacing my plenum pan gasket but there is a slight shudder/vibration/hesitation/misfire(?) under load and light throttle while going up slight to moderate inclines, if I give it more gas and it shifts everything seems to be smooth. Also, I have had an issue a few times where the engine will die right after starting it up. It has also died once or twice while driving at a slow speed (2 mph). Also... There is a slight shudder while coming to a complete stop while in gear, I tried stopping while in neutral yesterday and didn't notice the same vibration. I adjusted the throttle valve cable bracket the other day thinking that it might improve if it was a torque converter slippage issue but the symptoms have not improved. My next step was going to be checking and cleaning the TPS and also doing a compression check. I am definitely doing this this weekend and would appreciate some advice on whether or not you think I am heading in the right direction. I guess I should check my 02 sensors while I'm at it and am not sure how but I'll search around and see if I can find a how-to. When i replaced the plenum gasket i also replaced the intake manifold gaskets, cap, rotor, spark plug wires and rerouted them, spark plugs, cleaned the throttle body and plenum and installed a 180 deg thermostat which is getting replaced with a 195 before next winter. Thanks for the help, I'll post in the newbie section this weekend.
I was just wondering if anyone ever figured this problem out. I have a 97 dodge ram 1500 5.2 auto and I did a full motor swap and did everything he did, new plugs, wires, plenum pan gasket, intake manifold gaskets. Everything. Multiple misfires and then the vibration at 45 mph. I can just drive normally but then at exactly 45 the vibration begins. I can mash the gas and go over 45 without vibration but as long as I'm over 45 and try to maintain any specific speed over 45 the goat vibrates. The trucks just sluggish and I have that vibration. Just wondering if anyone has figured it out since I've seen many different people had the same problem. Thanks

Quick Reply: Hesitation? Misfire? Vibration under light load