Go Back   DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Ram > 2nd Gen Ram Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hughes plenum plate or just new gaskets?

Old 06-14-2011, 04:48 PM
Veteran
Garage is empty, add now

Default Hughes plenum plate or just new gaskets?

My truck has over 217k on it, and I plan on only getting 1 more year (possibly 2) out of it. I am starting to think about just saving the money and going with the Dorman Gasket replacement kit and upgrading to a 180-degree thermostat, instead of putting in the new plate. This decision is purely based on saving some coin as I am trying to buy a house right now, and I don't plan on having this truck for 5+ more years.

Give me your thoughts.
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
Old 06-14-2011, 05:06 PM
Professional
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1998 1500 4x4 laramie SLT, 5.2

there is a guy on ebay selling a laser cut 1/4 plate for around $45, I just got mine in the mail from him...I have never seen the hughes one but this one looks top quality, and you will already be buying the gaskets anyway......in ebay punch in plenum plate or belly pan in the search tab...
Old 06-14-2011, 05:14 PM
Veteran
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 99 Ram 1500 4x4, 5.9

The Plenum issue is caused by the plate and housing being made of 2 different metals. Over time, the 2 metals expand and contract at different rates, and eventually the gasket pops and you get the plenum issue.

The Huges pan will completely eliminate the plenum issue, as its made of a different metal that wont mess up the gasket.

That bieng said, if your not planning on having the truck for a long while, just do the gasket. New gasket will last a few years at least. The kit is more of a perminant fix.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:21 PM
Veteran
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by talthyren View Post
The Plenum issue is caused by the plate and housing being made of 2 different metals. Over time, the 2 metals expand and contract at different rates, and eventually the gasket pops and you get the plenum issue.

The Huges pan will completely eliminate the plenum issue, as its made of a different metal that wont mess up the gasket.

That bieng said, if your not planning on having the truck for a long while, just do the gasket. New gasket will last a few years at least. The kit is more of a perminant fix.
This is exactly what I am thinking. I know that the Hughes pan is a great fix. But I won't get my money's worth out of it.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:35 PM
Legend
2008 Dodge Challenger
My Garage

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8

Quote:
Originally Posted by talthyren View Post

That is one theory, but then the same issue should happen of you put aluminum heads on a cast iron block. the expansion coefficients aren't that great on thin steel vs. cast aluminum.

The theory I generally believe to be true is that the tapped holes for the pan bolts were not drilled deep enough into the manifold and the pan bolts bottom out, not keeping the correct torque on the gasket. The hughes plate is 1/4" instead of the 1/16" steel pan, extending the bolt holes. I suspect that a few washers could just as easily solve the problem.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:19 PM
Veteran
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 99 Ram 1500 4x4, 5.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudshack View Post
This is exactly what I am thinking. I know that the Hughes pan is a great fix. But I won't get my money's worth out of it.
One other thing to consider is that if you try to sell the truck down the road and the gaskets blown again, that's instantly 500-1000 off your asking price if the buyer gets it inspected.

Spend $50 now on the kit, save $1000 later?
Old 06-14-2011, 10:13 PM
Rookie
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: Searching.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1&2genrams View Post
there is a guy on ebay selling a laser cut 1/4 plate for around $45, I just got mine in the mail from him...I have never seen the hughes one but this one looks top quality, and you will already be buying the gaskets anyway......in ebay punch in plenum plate or belly pan in the search tab...
I also went with this piece and it arrived in good condition and bought Fel-pro intake gasket set from my local parts house. I have not installed this yet but will once I get some more free time. This piece and Fel-pro gasket is still a lot less than the Hughs plate and looks to be equal in quality.

Jeff
Old 06-14-2011, 10:53 PM
Record Breaker
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1997 qcsb 1500 4x4

That guy is a member on this site. His name is like blk99dakrt or something like that. I've ordered 3 from him and never had a problem.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:13 PM
Veteran
Garage is empty, add now

That is good to know! Might go that route with the Dorman gasket kit ($43)
Old 06-14-2011, 11:44 PM
Champion
2002 Dodge Ram 1500

Vehicle: '02 1500 5.9L Magnum

just a fwiw- the cat is out of the bag on the plenum issue on these rigs.. most folks are going to ask that question.. some may even show up with a pen magnet to check for themselves.. even if they don't know, you can volunteer the job was done, and it was done right.. you'll get your worth out of the fix (no matter if you do the hughes or the other plate) fix.. just my thoughts..

Old 06-14-2011, 11:44 PM