2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission VIN Challenge

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 12:07 PM
rockmeal
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really,
I looking for a chart or a numerical break down ,so when I am looking @ a tyranny that's out of the vehicle, I can tell what model, drive 2w or 4w and vehicle it is for.

Old 06-10-2012, 12:20 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

I was never able to find anything like that..... The dealer might understand those numbers, but, it seems no one else does. There are some 'explanations' of what the numbers mean in various places, but, there doesn't seem to be any consistency on how the numbers are stamped on the trans.... the formats don't always match up to what you would expect.

Difference between 2 and 4 wheel drive will be obvious though..... just look at the tailshaft housing. If it looks like the drive shaft plugs directly into the trans, that's 2wd. If the opening is 6-8"s, 4wd.

To tell the difference between RH, and RE's, look at the connector on the drivers side of the trans, about 2/3rds of the way back, an inch or three above the pan rail. 3 pin, is RH, 8 pin is RE.

There are some various pinout differences over the years on the RE models, but, swap the appropriate year electronics into it, and it will work for your truck.

Old 06-10-2012, 02:17 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK. Maybe this will help a little bit. The trans on the left is the 46RE for a 2 wheel drive. The one on the right is a 727.

Name:  46re2wd.jpg
Views: 3167
Size:  15.0 KB

THis is a 46RE for a 4 wheel drive (without transfer case.)

Name:  46RE4x4.jpg
Views: 3338
Size:  4.8 KB

Old 06-10-2012, 03:27 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Parts/Service
Lets break this down. First this is not a VIN (Vehicle Identification Number). It is actually a part number with build date. PK means package. 52118426 is the part number for a 46RE transmission out of either a full size van or truck. 2579 is the build date meaning it was build the 257 day and 9th month. It was built September 14, 1996. 7717 is sequence number meaning it was the 7,717 unit built. Was this a test or were you looking for specific info??
Hi. I just would like to point out that 1996 was a leap year, so the transmission was actually built on September 13 of that year. Sorry you got the wrong information OP.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:17 PM
rockmeal
Cool decifpher P K #'s

Any body Is there a book, chart or link where I can enter the PK #'s of removed trannys so I can find out the make (2w or 4w drive) and the vehical they came from? where did you get the info from?

Thanks HeyYou; for the info and gdstock for the pics!!!

Last edited by rockmeal; 06-10-2012 at 08:31 PM.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:26 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2x1972
Hi. I just would like to point out that 1996 was a leap year, so the transmission was actually built on September 13 of that year. Sorry you got the wrong information OP.
ROFL....only someone born on Feb 29th would know that!

OP - To make it simple - No. See Post #12. Probably not such a list. If there is, no one here knows where it may be. A 46RE transmission is a 46RE transmission, in only 2 models...2wd and 4wd. The difference is the OD section. The 4wd model is made for transfer case to bolt onto, and the 2wd does not.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:16 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I feel much more dumberer after having read through this trainwreck.

Old 06-06-2016, 11:57 AM
TexasBoy

Hey guys, Im resurrecting this thread because Im trying to determine the year-built of this transmission I have. I already know its a 46RE. This transmission is in a '99 model Dodge 2500 2WD truck with the 5.9 Magnum engine.

The reason for this post is that upon taking down the trans-pan, the valve body transducer is the black/square type that is typically seen on 2000-and-up 46RE transmission. The '96-thru-'99 transducer is round and has a different connector on it. So Im trying to figure out how it is that this '99 model truck came to have a >=2000 transducer in it.

I sent the VIN to that online Dodge Support site and they replied with the Build Sheet listing and confirmed that truck indeed was built with the 46RE from the factory. But what Im trying to determine now, is if the transmission that is in the truck now was a newer replacement, or is it only a newer valve body.

Thank you for any info you guys can share.

Old 06-06-2016, 12:07 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Part number shows for 2000 and up vehicles......

Is there a problem with the trans?

Old 06-06-2016, 12:26 PM
TexasBoy

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Part number shows for 2000 and up vehicles......

Is there a problem with the trans?
THANK YOU for clarifying that for me.

I recently bought this truck and it was throwing the code that said to replace the GovPressSolenoid and Transducer. I think, "no problem" and ordered the kit for this year-model truck.

When the kit showed up in the mail, I took the pan down and behold the transducer is different, so I had to return that and get the square/black, later version of the transducer seen in >+2000 models.

So I put the new solenoid and transducer in, put fluids back in and the truck runs and shifts great. BUT for some reason the TRANS-TEMP light stays on all the time. It comes on immediately upon starting the truck when theres simply no way the fluid is hot yet.

Just to cover my bases, I removed the check-valve in the hydraulic line up near the radiator to rule that issue out about fluid restriction.

After doing some research, I read somewhere that my 1999 ECM might be getting confused because the 2000-model transducer is sending a different reading that the 1999-model transducer usually sends and because of this difference, the ECM is displaying the TRANS-TEMP light.

Right now there are no codes and the trans operates correctly. Just trying to track down why the heck this light is on and will not go away.

Quick Reply: Transmission VIN Challenge