2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Window off track

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 09:09 PM
Schaef
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window off track

I have a 97 1500 dodge ram, NOT power windows. The glass first got off course when it froze to weather stripping, it still worked but sometimes got caught on weather stripping for a second before clunking back into postition where it should have been as I have lowered the components in the door. Yesterday it made a funny sound when I was lowering the window and then crashed to the bottom of the door. Thankfully it didn't break but now i don't know how to get it back on track and it seems to be beneath the whole mechanism now.

HELP!

So far I have only taken off the plastic door panel and have fiddled around with the glass but nothing more.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:40 PM
Ramzy
Veteran

Grab a service manual and take a look. Should be a breakdown in there. You may have to end up disassembling the mechanism or un-bolting from the door frame in order to get the glass back up above said mechanism.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:05 AM
ramitt360
Professional

Have you taken the door panel off yet to look? Did the bolts that bolt it to the mechanism snap or loosen and fall off? If the nuts just loosened and fell off then reach in there and pull the window up, set the studs back in the track and tighten the nuts up. If the studs on the glass are actually snapped then that sucks.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:36 AM
knoxy
Rookie

I had the metal clamp that holds the glass release from the glass and it dropped inside the door.

Here's my DIY notes:

1. Had to remove the inner door panel and lifted the window out of the door.

2. Unbolted the metal clamp from the lift mechanism, cleaned up the gunk on it, cleaned off the window where it attached, smeared some Gorilla Glue on the clamp's inner surface where it contacts the window glass and slid if back onto the glass.

3. I let it set up then reinstalled the window in the track, with the lift about halfway up. Bolted the clamp back onto the lift mechanism and its been good for the last 2 years.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:16 AM
billcart
Professional

Gorilla glue is some awesome stuff!

Old 05-24-2012, 05:13 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Coolness. THANK YOU!! Good information. I get to do this soon, and I even have some Gorilla glue.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:00 PM
webhead68
Rookie

What kind of Gorilla Glue did you use? There are so many kinds now......

Quick Reply: Window off track