Go Back   DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Ram > 2nd Gen Ram Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Thermostat replace, whats the cleanest way...

Old 04-29-2013, 07:32 PM
Veteran
1995 Dodge Ram 2500
My Garage

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L V8 Auto
Default Thermostat replace, whats the cleanest way...

Hey everyone. I'm going to change out my broken 180 thermostat back to the oem 195 temp likely this weekend and am wondering what the cleanest way of getting the job done is? Meaning, how can I take the thermostat out without gushing coolant all over the front of the engine? I know it's just going to be the coolant in the upper hose that comes out, the only way I see around it is to take the lower hose off and drain the water pump which might drain the upper hose as well? But that seems excessive. Any suggestions? Just deal with the mess? Searching on here doesn't reveal such a clean way. Thanks. Also side note, finally going to attempt to adjust the TV cable as well, even though it scares the hell out of me because I don't want to hurt the tranny in the long run. I just want later shifts at when WOT.
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
Old 04-29-2013, 07:40 PM
Record Breaker
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: '13 Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto

I just pulled the hose and housing. Let it spill.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:33 PM
Professional
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: Wrangler, Cherokee, Ram, all 98s

Not much is going to spill at all if you're just doing the t-stat.

However, if you pull the block plugs and drain the radiator, you'll for sure not spill much.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:03 PM
Rookie
2001 Dodge Ram 1500

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4

when I changed the t-stat in my wifes truck I just put a drain pan under the radiator, popped the drain plug and caught the coolant, then when it was drained I popped the upper hose off at the radiator and emptied it out as best I could. That was a fairly clean procedure and I was able to salvage the majority of the coolant, which I had just put in, but forgot to change the failsafe t-stat which locks itself open in the event of an overheat situation. In this case the overheat happened in her truck when the radiator blew out and my dumb *** replaced the radiator and refilled it with coolant before I realized I forgot about the t-stat
Old 04-29-2013, 10:44 PM
Champion
2001 Dodge Ram 1500

Vehicle: 01 Ram 1500 4x4
Mr Lambman

I think I've changed the thermostat before without draining anything.

I could be wrong though, I'm very tired
Old 04-29-2013, 11:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 01 1500 4wd

you can reduce the mess, but not eliminate it.
drain a little out of the radiator using the drain plug on drivers side. turn 1/4 turn, pull out. only drain a quart or so to drop the level away from the top hose.

disconnect upper radiator hose from radiator, and bend the hose over from the t-stat and drain it.

put a few rags around the t-stat housing and remove the hose. let the rags catch the coolant that spills. remove t-stat and dip a few paper towels into the intake to drop the level inside the intake. wipe the t-stat housing clean and dry and apply your new gasket with a smidgen of rtv on both sides.
01 1500 Reg Cab 4wd 5.2 auto 3.55 285/75/16 steps tow hooks sc3815 180 3923 trans cooler filter posilok powertrax (removed) timbren britebox pioneer head rockford amp speaker cobra cb firestick hughes plenum water pump timing chain oil pump rear main hub bearings brakes shocks cracked dash cad bushings seals ujoints trackbar tcase Robert Griffin Trans
Old 04-30-2013, 04:53 AM
Professional
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 5.9 gas
Default Mess

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhvaughan View Post
drain a little out of the radiator using the drain plug on drivers side. turn 1/4 turn, pull out. only drain a quart or so to drop the level away from the top hose.

disconnect upper radiator hose from radiator, and bend the hose over from the t-stat and drain it.

put a few rags around the t-stat housing and remove the hose. let the rags catch the coolant that spills. remove t-stat and dip a few paper towels into the intake to drop the level inside the intake. wipe the t-stat housing clean and dry and apply your new gasket with a smidgen of rtv on both sides.

^^^^This is a good method^^^^^I might add that a wet/dry shop vaccum can also aid in cleaning up the area around the thermostat before and after the install, the tapered snout attachment works well.
1996 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4, Volant CAI, Magnaflow Cat with free flowing single exhaust, 8mm plug wires, HP coil, Mopar performance computer, H&S 1.7 rockers, TCP performance aluminum shroud with Derale controller, FF Dynamics fans, Bosch 4 hole injectors, Hi-Potek 50mm TB, Modded kegger, External Tranny Oil filter, Double roller timing chain.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:13 PM
Veteran
1995 Dodge Ram 2500
My Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhvaughan View Post

sound advice here. you say a smidgen of rtv to both sides, are you talking around the holes for the housing bolts on both sides?
Old 04-30-2013, 06:15 PM
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
2000 Dodge Ram 2500

Vehicle: 2000 2500HD 4x4 5.9

Any chance we can change the Thread title to something a person searching might be able to come across?
2000 2500HD 4X4 5.9 and 4:10's,HF tuned SCT,Red-Head gear box, HS 1.7's,
50mm Fastman TB, Hughes Plate,2" Hell Bent ,Volant CAI
Flowmaster 50 series, Rock Solid Ram Steering fix,B&M trans cooler,fuzzy dice good for 5HP
Old 04-30-2013, 06:27 PM
Veteran
1995 Dodge Ram 2500
My Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman17 View Post
Any chance we can change the Thread title to something a person searching might be able to come across?
Absolutely! If I only knew how to though...or do you have to work your moderator magic to do that zman?
Old 04-30-2013, 06:27 PM