2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Oil Pressure Drops to 0

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 09:26 AM
fhadso
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pressure Drops to 0

I have a 2001 1500 with the 5.2L. When I stop, the check gauges and oil pressure light come on, and my oil pressure appears to drop to zero.

I've read around and a lot of people have had this issue. Solutions range from replacingthe pressure sending unit, dropping the oil pan and replacing a tube that fell off, replacing the cluster, getting a new motor, etc.

What is the issue, and what can I do to fix it?

Old 09-03-2013, 09:42 AM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's your oil level at? Last oil/filter change?

Hook up a mechanical gauge and see what it says. If pressure is normal, replace the sending unit. If pressure is not normal, the pickup tube may be clogged.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:45 AM
Arde
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Start by changing the oil pressure sending unit. Best thing to do is install a mechanical gauge so you know what your oil pressure really is, Dodge oil pressure gauges are notoriously bad.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:57 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Originally Posted by Arde
Start by changing the oil pressure sending unit. Best thing to do is install a mechanical gauge so you know what your oil pressure really is, Dodge oil pressure gauges are notoriously bad.
This.

Mine would drop to zero at stops when the engine was up to temp. Replaced the sending unit, and my gauge is now some semblance of 'accurate'.....(30 PSI at idle on a warmed engine.)

Old 09-03-2013, 08:22 PM
Twmays
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 on checking fluid level. My 01 5.2 didn't notify me the fluid was low until pressure dropped to 0 while coming to a stoplight. It bounced right back once the fluid in the pan sloshed back to the sensor. Checked my level and I was a good quart and a half low.

Simple things first. If fluid is right, then start with the big stuff.

(But I bet $2 of oil will fix it.)

Old 09-03-2013, 09:54 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you'll need to determine if the zero oil pressure is true or false. you might guess at it, or read the symptoms. the foolproof way to check is to install a manual gauge - but that's a pita and its easier to just replace the sensor.

if its true, it'll do it all the time, and - being very careful - after a few moments of idling with zero pressure, the valve train should start ticking.

if its false, it'll do it sometimes, and won't make any terrible noises.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...it-switch.html

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure Drops to 0