2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission Mess on a 2001 Ram 1500

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 08:39 PM
KMerenda
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Mess on a 2001 Ram 1500

I have the 2001 Ram 1500 v8 5.2l, automatic trans with about 160K miles and the tranny has been a disaster. A month and a half ago, I took the truck to my mechanic because I had a code P1757 (governor pressure above 3 PSI at 0 MPH). My mechanic is not a tranny guy, so he subcontracts someone else do do a transmission replacement. ($800 for parts & labor). I made it a few weeks before the check engine light came back on, but no noticeable problems. Then, a day or so later, the truck becomes very sluggish to start from a stand still. It was as if I was starting from 3rd gear each time. I could put the shifter into first and start fine, but shift to drive was consistantly giving sluggish start. That lasted for a few weeks, and now it's the opposite. Now, I have a great start from a stand still, but it feels like I don't ever shift gears until I reach 3500-4500 RPM. I will get to about 30 MPH, and 3000 RPM, then up to 40 MPH and about 4000RPM and it will finally kick over into the next gear. The second I slow down below 35 MPH, the process begins again. It's been like this for 2 days now. I took the truck to Autozone to have the codes read (before this stuck in first gear problem started), and they found THREE error codes:
P1762 - Governor pressure sensor offset voltage too high or low
P1756 - Governor pressure not equal to target value
P1767 - Governor pressure above 3 PSI at 0 MPH

What do you think?

Could this be just the pressure solenoid and sensor/transducer, or could it be something else, or could it be multiple things?

Is it worth it to replace the solenoid and sensor, or should I have my mechanic investigate first?

I've changed my AC compressor, thermostat, brake pads, and belt, but I've never done work under the truck. I have ramps and tools. Is replacing the solenoid and sensor something I can handle, given my inexperience and almost total mechanical ignorance? I found a guide on this forum for the procedure, but it would be my first trip under the truck.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:35 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

If you paid 800 bucks to get it fixed, and it isn't fixed..... time to go back to whoever did the trans work.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:43 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^Agreed.
Somebody screwed something up. Take it back. If they don't do anything about it, well, time for plan B.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:30 PM
KMerenda
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Plan is to take it back to my mechanic this weekend. Oddly enough, today its driving great. Check engine light is still on, but its shifting just fine.

Quick Reply: Transmission Mess on a 2001 Ram 1500