2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1998 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L - Force Compressor on

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 09:01 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Which pins did you jump? Pin 30 is 12 volts from fuse J in the PDC. (pink/dark blue wire if you can see it....) Jump that to pin 87 (dark blue/black) to send power to the compressor clutch. Do you actually GET power at the connector for the clutch at that point? Black/white wire just goes to ground somewhere. Do you have continuity to ground on that wire?

You can test if the switches are the problem with a couple paper clips. Test them.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:51 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeziahbabb
Ok I tried forcing it on in the A/C compressor relay, no dice.

Only thing I can think of at this point is that the compressor is seized up, but that wouldn't mean the clutch wouldn't at least try to engage.

Maybe the clutch is bad?

If I pull the clutch off, how would I identify that?

If the pressure sensors were bad, they would have been over-rode when I bridged the connections in the compressor relay, correct?

Ok, you are jumping relays, when you should be jumping the LOW pressure switch PLUG, not the switch itself. Green plug located to the right of the pcm on top of the accumulator, as shown in pic provided.

As far the compressor goes(to check if its seized) , you should be able to rotate the clutch (located in the center of the pulley itself) with your fingers. If it rotates, the compressor is NOT seized.

Last but not least, if you don't at least rent an evac pump and get a decent manifold gauge set, you are wasting your time and money.

Attached Thumbnails 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L - Force Compressor on-dscf0901_zps567aea3b.jpg  
Old 07-27-2013, 11:05 PM
Joeziahbabb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the clutch is bad, even after applying direct power to the clutch it refuses to engage.

Now...changing clutches is a bitch I know, but can it be done without decompressing the system by pulling the compressor out?

The radiator fan is in the way but I think I could pull that off to get access to the compressor.

Old 07-28-2013, 02:37 AM
ReadRam
All Star

There were some clutch kits on ei-bay last year and could be repaired without evacing the system, but otherwise you going to find that they are not serviceable and you have get complete compressor. Have you tried jumping the low pressure switch like zman described. If the clutch plate space to magnet is more than .003 in it won't engage or if it does, it won't for long. A fluke fix i did on mine was to tap around the circumference of the inner clutch plate with a small hammer to get that air gap back within spec and has been working since last summer. I also had it in a shop to have both high and low pressure checked so I knew it was properly charged.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:01 PM
Joeziahbabb

The clutch has a very small spacing, I don't think that is the issue.

This is a photo of the connections. The connection circled in RED has a 12 volt current running through it when the AC is turned on from the dash controls. The green connection is the connection which I ran a 12volt current through to try and engage the clutch, the circuit did complete, but it did not engage the clutch.

Attached Thumbnails 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L - Force Compressor on-clutch-spacing.jpg  
Old 07-28-2013, 07:25 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

If the other pin on the connector circled in red has good ground, the clutch is toast.

Try measuring resistance across the two terminals on the clutch connector. (in green) See what you get. (not that it will really matter if the ground on the other connector is good.....)

Old 07-28-2013, 08:13 PM
ReadRam
All Star

Originally Posted by Joeziahbabb
The clutch has a very small spacing, I don't think that is the issue.

This is a photo of the connections. The connection circled in RED has a 12 volt current running through it when the AC is turned on from the dash controls. The green connection is the connection which I ran a 12volt current through to try and engage the clutch, the circuit did complete, but it did not engage the clutch.
Way to check the gap is with a feeler gauge. But yeh, it should pull it in. just won't stay engaged when the gap gets to wide. IME.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:06 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Still have not heard from the OP as to whether or not he has jumped the low side switch.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:29 PM
Joeziahbabb

I've jumped both low and high switches

I think its pretty much zeroed in on the clutch.

Quick Reply: 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L - Force Compressor on