2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

46re transmission video - dodge week or dodge weak ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 11:00 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 46re transmission video - dodge week or dodge weak ?

this is good tech info, so i'm going to put it in the tech section. everyone with an auto trans should watch it. this shop has 3-4 46re/48re in at the same time for the same common problems-

check ball/cooler flow stopped up - overheat and meltdown.
broken OD direct snap ring.
broken OD accumulator coil spring.
3rd gear worn out.

at about the 9:30 mark he talks about the interaction between the speed sensor and the governor pressure sensor and its expected pressure readings and how they have to match up for everything to work correctly. i didn't know that.

lol, he's calling it Dodge Week. he ought to call it Dodge (is) Weak.
enjoy. or be afraid. lol.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:51 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

DH -- forgot to post. I watched this and it is useful info to hear the root cause. I was bummed to see that he doesn't respond to comments on the video. It would be useful info to know things like mileage and other details of the truck they came out of. I think it goes along way in how the drive treated it.

Thanks for the post as it does have value.

Old 11-01-2013, 03:18 PM
Hotpappa
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This vid scares me! I just lost 2nd gear yesterday. I still have 1st, 3rd, OD and Rev. Dash lights "check engine" (been on for quite awhile) and ABS and Brake came on with trans issue. Whats my chances that it could still be just a Pressure switch and solenoid?
98 5.9 4x4with I think a 46re

Old 11-01-2013, 10:29 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

If you only lost one gear, chances are it is NOT as simple as a solenoid replacement. You need to drop the pan, and see what's going on.

Old 11-02-2013, 01:48 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

I posted in the other post for Hotpappa to replace the output speed sensor and if the ABS and brake lamps are on, Then I would need to know what the codes are in the ABS module. As for the video, it was nice to show what broken and burnt parts look like. But how did he know if the check valve was stuck. I would have done a flow test on the cooler lines before removing the transmission. That was let me know if the cooler was plugged. These transmission don't fail as much as the video want you to believe. I would like to thank dhvaugham for the information.

Last edited by master tech; 11-02-2013 at 01:50 AM.

Quick Reply: 46re transmission video - dodge week or dodge weak ?