2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hard starting + 2 codes

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 09:33 AM
stallion81
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The upstream would reach the downstream, but not vica versa. Not sure if the plugs are the same anyway.....

But its already not following the sensor. Since I plugged in the new downstream, it threw 0132, then 0037, then 0132(never both at the same time). It was reading 0037 since Sunday when I plugged in the new upstream(due to the old downstream having a broken white wire).

I highly doubt both new sensors are bad. I put roughly 60 miles on the new upstream with no 0132 code.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:32 PM
stallion81
Rookie

Went to look at some used rims/tires as my truck never had a spare, and tires were severely dry rotted. Drove 15 miles with the CEL on(0132). Stopped at a gas station after the first set of rims/tires. Cleared the CEL.

On to the next set.....25 miles later I'm home with 4 new rims(stock chromes) and tires(2 nice pirelli/2 ok coopers) and no codes thrown.

Next cold start should be a test as yesterday I never really drove it after downstream install. Hopefully the PCM was "confused" so to speak, or the new downstream needed some heat on it.

Thanks for the help folks, maybe now I can move on through the truck.....still need to go thru the plow also. Keeping my fingers crossed.

As a side note.....after driving a 99 Wrangler with a soft top since 2002, Damn this stock stereo rocks. 1st time crankin it for some old megadeath =).

Old 11-16-2013, 12:00 PM
stallion81
Rookie

Still not good. I took it for a spin Thursday night to make sure the tires were balanced and she drove straight. Not fully warm I had a small backfire(exhaust), and some stumbling with the engine. About 3-7 seconds worth, then it ran fine.

Friday morning I had more issues, still not fully warm, she stumbled again. I guess I would explain it like low idle, almost like its not getting gas, or flooded. Playing with the pedal keeps it running and she usual pulls out of it in 5- 10 seconds or less. Again same thing when I got back to my driveway(5 minute 3 mile trip), popping the hood she acted up and died. Fired right back up, ran fine. No driving.

Hour later went to the jobsite and it threw the P0132 code again.

The engine running rough seems to happen when the truck is not fully warm.

Next on my list to do is full tuneup, check plenum with a magnet. I also look up on cleaning and checking the other sensors. I guess I'll know more after inspecting the plugs.Hopefully I'll have time tomorrow.

Now I've only had the truck for 1000 miles. I only had the hard starting issues 2 times, never again(cold mornings/maybe I forgot to prime pump?). The truck never had any issues until it threw the original P0138 and P0037. Now its the intermittent rough running. I dont remember it ever stumbling when the engine is fully warm.

My educated guess would be that its not mechanical, and its running too rich or too lean?

Old 11-16-2013, 12:05 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Possibly. Check all the connectors and such for the engine harness. ESPECIALLY at the PCM. Make sure all are clean, and tight. Little bit of corrosion can bring out some truly strange symptoms.

Old 11-16-2013, 12:46 PM
stallion81
Rookie

Yeah I got a wedding to go to today so I'm just checking what I can with the nose in the garage, truck wont fit =(. I just got out the # 8 plug.....I've literally never seen a plug look so good. Perfect. It has been in there a while as the shaft is corroded. wires look newer also, but not sure how many miles are on the combo. Its a long nose plug. Ill check the PCM. Want to keep it runable as I dont want to push her out and in as rain today and tomorrow. I gotta Pull the TB also tomorrow as it needs a cleaning. I'll check the plenum then, but the #8 would be carboned if it was leaking correct?

Old 11-16-2013, 01:13 PM
stallion81
Rookie

PCM looks fine. All the copper is shinny in all 3 ports, plugs look fine, and ground wire to body looks good and is tight. Its missing 1 of the 3 mounting screws but is mounted tightly. I wont be able to trace the O2 sensor harness till I get the TB off....easier access to the D cap anyway.

Old 11-16-2013, 02:18 PM
stallion81
Rookie

Browsing the wiring diagrams so I'm ready to search tomorrow, I noticed the O2 sensor fuse(K), should be a 15a....got a 20 in it now. Prolly not the problem? just thought I'd ask. It had the 20 in it when I bought it.

Old 04-17-2014, 04:04 PM
stallion81
Rookie

Just bringing up the issue as its hopefully resolved. I ran it all winter with the O2 unplugged. No heated garage to work on it, and needed it to plow.

New remaned PCM got here today. No CEL as of yet. I was pretty sure that was the problem, my code reader wasn't giving me a correct graph for the O2 voltages. Thank goodness it wasn't the wiring.

Quick Reply: Hard starting + 2 codes