2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

01 Ram 5.9l Misfire cylinder 5, Which plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 08:46 PM
brownhunter
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 Ram 5.9l Misfire cylinder 5, Which plugs?

For the past month a felt a shudder in the engine, then while comig back from fishing towing my boat, my check engine light came on, so I ran a test on it. It was misfiing in #5. I have had the truck over 2yrs and never did a tune up. I replaced the wires and the misfire was gone. Then I also replaced the cap and rotor. But I am not sure which plugs to put in it. I read online, copper core plugs are best for the Ram 1500. So I shouldn't kick out $8 each for the platnium ones?

Old 10-25-2012, 09:29 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Go with standard copper core. Champion, NGK, Autolite, etc. Whichever floats your boat, just stay with the $2 coppers.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:22 AM
z28oc91

i agree go with some basic ones, ive always bought middle grade spark plugs and never had a problem, i prefer AC delco but its up to you...while your plugs are out inspect them and make sure you find nothing out of the ordinary. also remember to use anti seize lube, you dont have too, just a good idea

Old 10-26-2012, 05:47 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

There is a very good thread/poll about plugs in the FAQ/DIY section if you care to look. Amongst a lot of other very good info in that section you might like to take a look at. I suggest you also read the plenum thread, and also get a pcv from the dealer. Depending on which side yours is on, it's probably right there by #5.

Last edited by zman17; 10-26-2012 at 05:50 PM.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:00 PM
brownhunter
Amateur

So today I bought the $2 copper core autolite plugs. But when I got home and pulled into my driveway, the check engine light came on again! I will run another test and see what it says. The new plugs are in and the light is still on.

Old 10-27-2012, 08:48 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Disconnect battery fround for a couple minutes. This resets the PCM. Connect back and start and run truck for a bit. See if light stays off. What did the pkugs look like that you pulled out?

Old 10-28-2012, 04:39 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

What's the code? And did you bother to read the plenum thread?

Old 10-30-2012, 08:32 PM
brownhunter
Amateur

The code reads, PO305. Here are some pictures of the plugs, cap and rotor. the arrows I drew point to one of the ones that was 5, i can't remember which one, but it was cleaner then then rest.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

What is a PCV that I get from a dealer????

Thanks.

Last edited by brownhunter; 10-30-2012 at 08:35 PM. Reason: more info
Old 10-31-2012, 01:59 AM
brownhunter
Amateur

I felt the shutter for a few weeks, it wasn't much. Then the day before the light came on the 1st time I had filled the tank and put fuel system cleaner in the tank. Perhaps something is lodged in the injector. I am waiting on my friend to bring the check engine tester back over.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:44 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by brownhunter
What is a PCV that I get from a dealer????
That'd be a PCV valve. PCV = Positive Crankcase Ventiliation. The valve will be hanging out of the top of one of the valve covers with a hose going from it to the intake manifold. On the other side there'll be an elbow with a hose going to the air hat. If you had a flaky PCV valve, one of those old plugs would show oil fouling, and none do. The PCV valve is not the problem here.

None of those plugs in your photos looks bad, aside from the gaps being all wrong. You've got two that are close to right, the rest are FUBAR. Did you gap those new plugs before stuffing them in? If not, haul 'em out and gap them properly.

Judging by the look of that distributor cap, it has been there for 60,000 miles or more. Can you say "deferred maintenance"? Ah, yes, that's it. I knew you could. That cap is sporting the Chrysler part number; it's not all visible, but I'd bet that it's 53008767. Maybe it's factory original? Or at any rate hasn't been changed since the warranty expired? Holy 5h17.

Fuel system cleaner? What brand, and how much? Was the gas you tanked up on from a Top Tier retailer, some random mini-mart, or what?

Quick Reply: 01 Ram 5.9l Misfire cylinder 5, Which plugs?