2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Twin turbo Ram(360)

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 12:59 PM
ProjectTwinTurbo
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also fir headers they'll be turned upside down. I got my main ideas off YouTube.

Look up turbo bogger and watch his turbo build it's simple and cheap.

Old 01-23-2014, 01:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,208 Likes on 2,959 Posts

What are you doing about fueling?

Old 01-23-2014, 02:09 PM
ProjectTwinTurbo
Professional

Just going to put bigger injectors fir now. If that don't work then I'm going to do a fuel pump swap.

But I was saying do u know another vehicle I could take the injectors out of and put them in the ram and they would be a upgrade? Modding wiring is no problem.

Old 01-23-2014, 02:24 PM
Rebel541
Professional

Check out Hans5.2's thread for some great info from a guy who did it himself:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...rbo-build.html

Old 01-23-2014, 02:30 PM
ProjectTwinTurbo
Professional

I've looked. How he set his up is different from what in doing. My turbos are going to be in the bay, not using intercooler which I don't think he did ether, and mines a complete budget build. Most parts will be custom and I'm not doing anything I don't have to....

Old 01-23-2014, 03:16 PM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ProjectTwinTurbo
Just going to put bigger injectors fir now. If that don't work then I'm going to do a fuel pump swap.

But I was saying do u know another vehicle I could take the injectors out of and put them in the ram and they would be a upgrade? Modding wiring is no problem.
You can't just throw in bigger injectors and expect it to run right. The tune needs to be completely redone. You also need to retard timing in boost. The popular way is SCT tuner with a 2 BAR MAP, IMO it sucks, the JTEC computer was never meant to play nice with boost, you cut your already crappy fuel table resolution in half with a 2 BAR MAP and then have to deal with some guy tuning it for you via email. MS3X is a superior solution and isn't that much more than SCT.

My motor is stock except FelPro headgaskets, ARP head bolts, ARP rod bolts, 2 bbl M1, 1 piece valves/heavier springs and Harland Sharp 1.7 rockers, I run 12 PSI. When it was stock bolts and headgaskets I ran 6-8PSI for many thousands of miles with no issues.

The manifolds can't just be flipped, the drivers side will interfere with the PS pump.

Again twins are added complexity with no real benefit over a properly sized single.

Your stock tranny isn't going to like you either.

The above build thread on my build is quite out of date, I have a different turbo and it's under the hood now.

Old 01-23-2014, 03:37 PM
ProjectTwinTurbo
Professional

We're relocating A lot. I agree it's complex. But a little customizing and u can achieve a lot. Still not sure on this project yet just wanted to see what everyone else thought. But it's 9 outa 10 chance I'm going to make it happen some how. But the 700$ budget is mainly just for the twin turbo stuff. And after I get it all together I'm going to start on tranny and motor upgrades.

Old 01-23-2014, 04:40 PM
aofarrell2
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you know the difference between twin turbos and parallel turbos? Twin turbos are serial, i.e. one turbo feeds the next. Parallel turbos, AKA dual turbos (or more commonly although improper) twin turbos, are (usually) one turbo serves each cylinder bank. turbos are independent of each other. So just making sure you know the difference..

As others have said, a single will really be better, you're going to have a hard time getting two turbos in it, and a single will work just as well. But if you want two just for the feeling of having two, go for it. Just make sure you have some form of boost control, because two turbos COULD peak at too high of a pressure for your engine...

Also keep in mind, that turbo'ing essentially raises the compression pressure, so street gas most likely won't be able to be run in it after you add the turbos, unless you run water/meth, or lower the compression (not recommended).

You will need more than bigger injectors, you will need a custom tune, a different MAP sensor, an entirely different tune (although I'd recommend you go MegaSquirt, as Hahns said a JTEC computer really wasn't designed to accommodate boost).

You're transmission will need to be upgraded.

You'll want head studs, good headgaskets, probably headers (stock manifolds are cast iron, they can crack under too much heat, and the turbo will be creating more heat, and the headers will allow better exhaust flow, i.e. less backpressure). Depending on how much power you are wanting to run, you will need to consider your cooling system, your bottom end (girdles, better bearings, better oil pump, etc.), a better cam, better heads and/or headwork and springs, etc.

Do your research, cool idea, but you DO want to do it the RIGHT way and do it thoroughly. Turbo'd gas engines are cool, but there's a lot of factors to consider and add up, and cost is one of them. You can certainly do it on a budget, but I'm afraid that many people (I've done this in the past) set a budget and do anything, including cutting corners, just to get something working, and it ends up not being worth it or doesn't work right.

Also, stay fuel injected. A carb on a turbo won't perform as good...

Old 01-23-2014, 04:50 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,208 Likes on 2,959 Posts

The stock system can't account for boost, not even with bigger injectors/fuel pump. You will run lean, and blow holes in pistons. You MUST do something different for that. This is the best option.

Old 01-23-2014, 05:06 PM
ProjectTwinTurbo
Professional

Is it just a plug and play? And what's the price? Bc my plans are to turbo it. Then if it's acting like it's getting to much air then I'll upgrade injectors. If then it's getting to much fuel I'll push the boost up

Quick Reply: Twin turbo Ram(360)