2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

scraping and groaning at low speeds

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 02:01 AM
Someonesnamehere
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Dodgeram360V8Mag
So recently I have been hearing a scraping sound coming from the front when driving down the road and especially when I am going around a curve in either direction at 15-20 mph. It also groans and vibrates really bad when I am at a low speed and when I am turning too. I just recently replaced the pads in the front (yes it was done correctly) and I noticed that the passenger side rotor was ate up pretty bad but not into the fins. I have been thinking wheel bearing but I am also thinking it could just be the rotor. It is now also starting to do the famous high pitched squeal when coming to a stop. Also when I hit my brakes this all goes away except for the squeal. But at low speeds again I barely tap my brakes and it will make it vibrate and groan. Help please!!
Hello friend, I believe that you have 2 issues going on at the same time.

You most likely have a bad wheel bearing and with the way you say your rotors are wearing, an imbalanced brake system. This is the second 98 dodge I have owned and I already hear the wheel bearing at 160k is again.

And why would you let your rotors get to the fins? Did/do you not hear the wear indicators on the pad...then the pad backer on the rotor...or loss of brake pedal?

I would hope you didn't do that and referring to someone else's post....but if that did happen you would most definitely need your brake system fixed or buy rotors every 6-8 mo.

hope this helps.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:19 PM
98Dodgeram360V8Mag
Veteran

Originally Posted by Someonesnamehere
Hello friend, I believe that you have 2 issues going on at the same time.

You most likely have a bad wheel bearing and with the way you say your rotors are wearing, an imbalanced brake system. This is the second 98 dodge I have owned and I already hear the wheel bearing at 160k is again.

And why would you let your rotors get to the fins? Did/do you not hear the wear indicators on the pad...then the pad backer on the rotor...or loss of brake pedal?

I would hope you didn't do that and referring to someone else's post....but if that did happen you would most definitely need your brake system fixed or buy rotors every 6-8 mo.

hope this helps.
It wasn't down to the screecher on the pad yet. And ever since I bought the truck the inner pad wears down way faster than the outer.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:23 PM
98Dodgeram360V8Mag
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Depends on how bad the other side is. Test it a couple times to see what your brakes are going to act like when you step on them hard. Best to know that BEFORE you figure it out in a panic stop.
Will do! I don't know if it will grab any better or not. Ever since I bought the truck it has never really stopped on a dime. Just recently got the rear drums working and new pads on them and that helped a little more. But it still doesn't grab that hard when I put my foot down on the brake peddle. And also the pedal is feels firm. Sometimes it will feel a little squishy but not very often.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:05 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

It wasn't down to the screecher on the pad yet. And ever since I bought the truck the inner pad wears down way faster than the outer.
That indicates the caliper is not sliding on the bracket properly. Pull the calipers, thoroughly clean both surfaces where the caliper meets the bracket, and put some sil-glide on 'em. (brake caliper grease....) Do the same for the caliper guide pins. They like to get stuck.

Old 06-12-2014, 12:58 PM
98Dodgeram360V8Mag
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
That indicates the caliper is not sliding on the bracket properly. Pull the calipers, thoroughly clean both surfaces where the caliper meets the bracket, and put some sil-glide on 'em. (brake caliper grease....) Do the same for the caliper guide pins. They like to get stuck.
I have not done this yet but FYI it is still doing it and it is still at lower speeds. (10-25)
Even though the passenger side rotor is the one that is messed up, it sounds like it is coming from the driver side. (the scraping)

Old 06-12-2014, 03:33 PM
djbucky3
Captain

I have not done this yet but FYI it is still doing it and it is still at lower speeds. (10-25)
Even though the passenger side rotor is the one that is messed up, it sounds like it is coming from the driver side. (the scraping)
It may sound like its coming from the driver's side because you are sitting on the driver's side.

Old 06-13-2014, 01:49 PM
98Dodgeram360V8Mag
Veteran

Originally Posted by djbucky3
It may sound like its coming from the driver's side because you are sitting on the driver's side.
I just don't want to replace the rotor and it not do anything. lol

Old 06-13-2014, 04:25 PM
djbucky3
Captain

I just don't want to replace the rotor and it not do anything. lol
Don't blame ya, but just trying to help cover all bases! As are you

Old 06-13-2014, 05:03 PM
98Dodgeram360V8Mag
Veteran