2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Exhaust questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 10:06 AM
Kyle2001
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust questions

I have a question about running my truck without a muffler. I would take the muffler off and run a pipe out the side right before the rear tire. What would the negative/positive effects if there are any of this be? I would be doing this until I have enough money to buy the necessary parts to build my custom exhaust, So probably about a month or two.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:10 AM
CSDavies26
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only real "negative" effect would be the fact that your truck would be unbearably loud inside the cab. I have dual side exit pipes on mine with a flowmaster super 40 and I want to change it to something quieter! If only for a month or two, I'm sure you'll survive, but your passengers/neighbors won't like it. You also might lose some bottom end power due to the loss in exhaust back pressure from removing the muffler...

What state are you in? Here in PA, cops like to pull people over and give them "excessive noise" tickets for things like what you're doing...

Old 05-07-2014, 10:30 AM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I twill be obnoxiously loud. But that's about i

Old 05-07-2014, 10:39 AM
Kyle2001

I live in PA but I doubt I would get a ticket unless if I'm doing something stupid.... I had a friend that took his off and I didn't mind the sound that much actually... I like loud exhaust a lot more then quiet ones anyway.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:01 AM
CSDavies26
Veteran

Did your friend have his dumped in front of the rear tire too? Its going to be ear drum-rattling loud bud.... And yea the cops in my area of PA really aren't bad about it but I'm in a rural area 40 mins north of pittsburgh. In more populated areas I've heard from friends and others that cops like to target loud vehicles, especially late at night. But your right, as long as you aren't intentionally over-revving the engine or doing burnouts at stoplights you'll probably be ok.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:10 AM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My tailpipes rusted off, so my exhuast was dumping right over the axle. With a slowmaster 40. And it rattled my already destroyed dash into even smaller pieces

Old 05-07-2014, 11:14 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

It will sound like a$$.

Old 05-07-2014, 12:05 PM
snowboundrmk
All Star

That's how mine is. It gets old after a while.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:09 PM
TheBigRedTruck
Veteran

be sure to reset the computer so it gets accustomed to the new setup. I ran open headers in my 95 ram and it sounded excellent. I got thumbs up from random people all the time, whether it was idling or I was gunning it.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:51 AM
Kyle2001

Originally Posted by CSDavies26
Did your friend have his dumped in front of the rear tire too? Its going to be ear drum-rattling loud bud.... And yea the cops in my area of PA really aren't bad about it but I'm in a rural area 40 mins north of pittsburgh. In more populated areas I've heard from friends and others that cops like to target loud vehicles, especially late at night. But your right, as long as you aren't intentionally over-revving the engine or doing burnouts at stoplights you'll probably be ok.
My friend had his cut right off at the muffler, so it was right under that cab. I will be running my pipe all the way to the rear to maybe help with SOME in cab noise. Its gonna be loud as hell anyway once I get my custom exhaust, flow master long tube headers straight piped to flow master 40's right out the back

Quick Reply: Exhaust questions