2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Possible starter issues?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 09:10 PM
shoots
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jmhd1989
If he is burning through Relay after relay would that not mean he is getting too much voltage to that relay causing it to fail just like a fuse would "pop"? Possibly a short somewhere?

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Would need to open up the relay, and see which side of the circuit is failing. Solenoid side, or switched side.
There were a total of four fried relays. The original last Friday, two in a row on Sunday, one Monday morning. Throughout this 4 day period other than the two in a row the truck would start multiple times.

I opened up three of the relays including the original (one I threw away at the parts store) to examine where the relay failed. First, on each I put a sharpie mark on the tine in the same location for reference. Then took a small pry bar and hit with hammer to shear off plastic. What I found was:

- all failed in same location

- if facing engine compartment from drivers side, 2 would be on right / 0 would be on left, when installed in relay box

- of the three examined all burned through on 0 side of the relay

Many thanks to you guys for taking an interest and helping out!!

Old 08-12-2014, 09:32 PM
shoots

Almost forgot to ask.

Connected to the starter near the top post battery cable connection there is a sensor that is bundled into the positive battery cable assembly. What does it do?

Thanks

Old 08-12-2014, 09:37 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If I remember correctly it should plug into the starter somewhere

It's late though and I have been under there in a while

Old 08-12-2014, 11:02 PM
shoots

Originally Posted by Ham Bone
If I remember correctly it should plug into the starter somewhere

It's late though and I have been under there in a while
Yes, you are correct. The sensor that plugs into the starter. What does that sensor do?

Thanks

Old 01-25-2015, 01:30 PM
WilliamSargent
Default Same Issue

I seem to have run into the same issue, went out to start the truck for work lastnight and nothing. Just ran out and tried swapping relays, appears my horn relay is a long rectangle compared to the bigger box for the starter so I swapped the starter for the trailer relay (Dont tow anyways).

Still nothing, guess Ill pull the starter and take it down to NAPA tomorrow after I get home from work till then guess I will have to drive my Ole Chevy project truck till then.

*UPDATE*

Pulled starter to have it tested it tested bad, put new starter in and still having the same problem.

Sorry to hi-jack the thread.

Last edited by WilliamSargent; 01-28-2015 at 06:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Possible starter issues?