2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Too many issues. PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 06:59 PM
Jmoss2296
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too many issues. PLEASE HELP

Okay guys. Im a new member to the forum. A while back, my truck broke down. Thw overdrive housing broke off and the transfer case dropped. Its 97 dodge ram 1500 with a 5.9 magnum and it has 177 miles. I do not have a code because my spot to plug in my reader is gone.
Problems. My speedometer only works when it wants to. Whenever it does work, it only goes to 70 and wont go over that. The rpms stay steady at 3k. The engine feels bogged down bad, but oil and transmision filter is and fluids all look great. I also feel like my front drive shaft is turning while im driving because i hear a sound like a ujoint under me towards the front. Why would it turn if its in 2wd? I press on the gas heavy and only back wheels spin. Someone please help.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:33 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

So how did you fix the O/D housing falling off?

177,000 miles? (I only wish my truck had 177 miles on it.....)

What happened to the diag connector? It should still be around somewhere.....

How old is the front O2 sensor? Have you fixed the plenum yet? (have a read thru the plenum thread stickied at the top of this forum.)

Old 08-20-2014, 09:01 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Apart from dropping the transfercase, and diag connector not in its usual location, you're describing common issues covered many times over.

Beyond HeyYou's comments, look for threads on the CAD, for the front driveshaft turning... the root of this is typically a vacuum leak.

Old 08-24-2014, 02:03 PM
Jmoss2296

Originally Posted by HeyYou
So how did you fix the O/D housing falling off?

177,000 miles? (I only wish my truck had 177 miles on it.....)

What happened to the diag connector? It should still be around somewhere.....

How old is the front O2 sensor? Have you fixed the plenum yet? (have a read thru the plenum thread stickied at the top of this forum.)
I took the old one out, i unbolted it from the tranny, lined up timing mark with tranny shaft and bolted it back in. I replaced all seals, and filled back up with atf+4. I also replaced the speed sensor on the transfer case but didn't help me out whatsoever!!

Old 08-24-2014, 02:05 PM
Jmoss2296

Originally Posted by Spillage
Apart from dropping the transfercase, and diag connector not in its usual location, you're describing common issues covered many times over.

Beyond HeyYou's comments, look for threads on the CAD, for the front driveshaft turning... the root of this is typically a vacuum leak.
I'm not sure what you mean by diag connector nit in its normal place? And my front drive shaft does turn while driving. I figured that was common and just needed a ujoint.I really have no idea on these vacuum systems nor how they work. But with instructions I can do anything.

Old 08-24-2014, 02:12 PM
Jmoss2296

Also guys, I did find the OBD2 port, but I have a simple code reader. Bo diagnostics. My cats have been gutted, I checked the other day. I got two codes, PO123 and a PO500 code. PO123 is for the throttle body position sensor. And the PO500 is for the VSS. Replaced the VSS on the tranny but apparently that wasn't right. Could the VSS prevent my truck from switching into overdrive? And what about the TPS?

Old 08-24-2014, 02:35 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Either of them could be the culprit. You need to be going over 45mph, and be at less than like 1/3 throttle (or so) for O/D to engage.

Quick Reply: Too many issues. PLEASE HELP