2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Valve Seal Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 02:02 PM
LeLimoMan
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve Seal Replacement

I just picked up a 1999 2500 with a 5.9L Magnum motor. The truck has definitely seen its share of abuse, but I think that it has plenty of life left in it even for 217K. `Supposedly`it has a newer engine in it, but given the way it has been used, I have my doubts. The truck does start and run great and the body is better than most and I really love the 5 speed manual transmission.

I have the typical blue oil cloud at start up and it seems to run through a quart of oil about every 200+ miles. Since this will be a winter/weekend truck, I really don't want to invest in an engine rebuild or swap. I'm hoping that doing the valve seals will help the problem and am looking to see if there is a good DIY thread out there. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks for the help!

PS: I had a 1998 2500 SLT that had a crank sensor issue (I think) and could not get the sensor out (Thanks Chrysler Corp for the great design). Frustrating as hell, but I didn't give up on Dodge and bought my current one. I hope this one treats me better.

Old 08-27-2014, 02:08 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Read the plenum pan/gasket sticky.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Yep. Plenum is most certainly blown for that kind of oil consumption. Valve seals are probably bad just from age. But, don't be surprised if your oil consumption doesn't completely disappear after doing the work.... mine still goes thru a quart about every 200 miles or so.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:03 PM
JSTMoto
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, HeyYou that sounds really bad. You sure you meant a quart every 200 miles? That's less than a tank of gas.

Old 08-30-2014, 09:58 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Originally Posted by JSTMoto
Wow, HeyYou that sounds really bad. You sure you meant a quart every 200 miles? That's less than a tank of gas.
Unfortunately, yes, that is correct...... Check the gas, fill up the oil please....

I have another motor hanging on the engine stand, just don't have the money to go thru it before installation.

Quick Reply: Valve Seal Replacement