2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

3.55 gears to 3.92 or 4.10. questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 04:13 PM
BigOrange 83
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It may seem like being spoon fed..if everyone was giving me the same info then I could say you were right..however if you read all the post you will see some say it will fit no problem..others say with the carier split no..another one said he would be willing to bet it would fit..you see why im beating this horse??before I spend money on gears I want to know if I can direct swap..and yes I do know how to set up a rearend..I have a dial and know about the backlash and tooth patern..this comes down to a question about will this fit on this application..and ive never setup used gears so you may be right that its harder..but still where did I ask about that?? Also I realize the 9.25 has no split..where did that come from? All I wanted was a simple question about going from 3.55 to 3.92...

Old 10-23-2014, 04:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

D44 carrier splits at 4.10, so, 3.92 will go in there. Same carrier for all ratios on the rear diff. (chrysler 9.25)

Setting up gears is an art, setting up used gears is a major exercise. Chances are good, you will never get them quiet. If you elect to pay someone to do it.... expect north of 300 bucks PER differential.

In all reality, it may actually end up being cheaper just buying a set of complete axles that already have the gears you want in them. The 3.92 gears were optional. Someone had to specifically order their truck with them, hence, they are rarer than hens teeth.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:06 AM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 149 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by BigOrange 83
It may seem like being spoon fed..if everyone was giving me the same info then I could say you were right..however if you read all the post you will see some say it will fit no problem..others say with the carier split no..another one said he would be willing to bet it would fit..you see why im beating this horse??before I spend money on gears I want to know if I can direct swap..and yes I do know how to set up a rearend..I have a dial and know about the backlash and tooth patern..this comes down to a question about will this fit on this application..and ive never setup used gears so you may be right that its harder..but still where did I ask about that?? Also I realize the 9.25 has no split..where did that come from? All I wanted was a simple question about going from 3.55 to 3.92...

Hey Buckaroo cool your jets.............................................. ................
No one is attacking you so you need to take that chip off your shoulder. You never said you were experienced in setting up gears. And you're on here asking questions when all you needed to do was research it on your own.

No you can't go from 3.55 to 3.92 gears on a Dana 44. And no you didn't ask about using used gears but you also didn't say if you had any knowledge about gears. So maybe next time you can give a little back ground as to your experience so that we know who we are dealing with. If you don't like the answers your getting then look the stuff up on your own. It took me less than a minute to find out where the case break was on a D44 axle.

Originally Posted by HeyYou
D44 carrier splits at 4.10, so, 3.92 will go in there. Same carrier for all ratios on the rear diff. (chrysler 9.25)

Setting up gears is an art, setting up used gears is a major exercise. Chances are good, you will never get them quiet. If you elect to pay someone to do it.... expect north of 300 bucks PER differential.

In all reality, it may actually end up being cheaper just buying a set of complete axles that already have the gears you want in them. The 3.92 gears were optional. Someone had to specifically order their truck with them, hence, they are rarer than hens teeth.

Sorry HeyYou but the case split is at 3.73/3.92
Carrier Breaks: 3.73 / 3.92
Got this from Randy's Ring and Pinion

Old 10-24-2014, 02:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman4x4nut
Hey Buckaroo cool your jets.............................................. ................
No one is attacking you so you need to take that chip off your shoulder. You never said you were experienced in setting up gears. And you're on here asking questions when all you needed to do was research it on your own.

No you can't go from 3.55 to 3.92 gears on a Dana 44. And no you didn't ask about using used gears but you also didn't say if you had any knowledge about gears. So maybe next time you can give a little back ground as to your experience so that we know who we are dealing with. If you don't like the answers your getting then look the stuff up on your own. It took me less than a minute to find out where the case break was on a D44 axle.

Sorry HeyYou but the case split is at 3.73/3.92
Carrier Breaks: 3.73 / 3.92
Got this from Randy's Ring and Pinion
Why yes, you are indeed correct. My bad.

Old 10-25-2014, 10:24 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BigOrange 83
When submitting a query anywhere the response is always by someone with intentions of being proper information. Sometimes based on "experience" and sometimes it's backed up by a reputable source like a technical source. Yes, I can appreciate there can be mixed responses to the "same query".

With that being said, the answer to your question, which actually was not limited to the D44, was provided post #2 (Thornloe Pride).

Then in Post #8 you assume the same carrier is used for 3.55 (factory) and 3.92 (factory). Not a bad assumption and a good thought about thick gears. If you look at your question again there at the end it's confusing _unless_ someone read the first post. You mix the front and rear axles with the same question implying no change to either carrier for 3.55 to 3.92. Confusing....

Hence my follow up post to haze you, separate the two axles AND provide you links from reputable sources in lieu of people sources.

As some have said, you didn't provide any additional background knowledge on yourself. People can only go on what you provide and otherwise assume you know nothing as a 16 year snot nosed punk kid. So you will get extra info. When did sharing ever hurt anyone....? lol (<-- oops loaded question)

Yes you can setup used gears, but just know it's at a risk to their previous condition and how they meshed up in the previous housing. They mesh up differently as every housing is slightly different. I always recommend new bearings/shims/etc. While the attempt is to mesh as if new, don't expect it. However, there are still good patterns.

So here a couple more good links/sources to help out. I would have thought there would have been a FAQ on this by now. Blame Hey You for skipping posts and not consolidating info....oh wait, he passes wrong info on occasion too. Danm flawed human!!

http://dodgeram.org/tech/repair/axle/diffsetup.htm

http://www.pavementsucks.com/board/t...ng-locking-etc

Last resort -- call a couple gear shops directly.

Old 10-26-2014, 06:49 PM
tjbern
Default gears

go with the 4:10 you wont regret it I have the 01 with stock 4:10 I drive the highway every day no problem long as you have the right size tires the 4:410 will pull a house down

Old 10-28-2014, 10:27 AM
tot64
Professional

I just had mine regeared at a shop because I didn't know how. It was $1700, front and rear rebuilt and regeared to 4.56s. Just throwin out there how much it cost me to have it done.

Old 10-28-2014, 07:43 PM
Blue Mopar01
All Star

You had them rebuilt as well? Just checking so I can have a current price quote from others. If you have the receipt, what was the cost for just regearing?

Quick Reply: 3.55 gears to 3.92 or 4.10. questions