2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

97 1500 truck. fuse box help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 08:09 PM
justforkicks
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everybody! New here. Im not currently a dodge owner, but a lot of my buddies got rams. Now, i get asked a lot to work on their rigs (even though i mainly work on fords), and most problems i figure out with these dodges fairly quick. This one has got me stumped though.

The truck is a 97 ram 1500 4x4 with a 318 (kid swears its a 360 but i talked to previous owner and the 360 was changed out for a 318) and auto trans. He drove it home and when he pulled it into his driveway, it died. No fuel pump, no spark, just cranks. We tried ether to no avail. He had mentioned he jumpered the asd relay and it made the fuel pump run, so i swapped out the asd and ac relays. Nothing. Swapped out horn relay for fuel pump relay. Nothing. Doesnt even want to start. So i start digging into wiring. I started off at 22 ohms of resistance for all ground at fuel pump and asd relays (switched and coil side). Power wires at relays have 12.56 volts. When key is turned on, asd has 12.56v at pcm side. Took a pair of jumper cables and connected to - batt cable and the small ground next to box and now only have 7 ohms of resistance. I disconnected the jumper cables and now i have 7 ohms all the time at the grounds on both the fuel pump and asd relays. It could have been human error with my first readings, but regardless, is this too much resistance for the asd and fuel pump relays to power up and switch?

Sorry it's so long winded, I like throwing in as many details as possible. Thanks in advance for any input!

Last edited by justforkicks; 10-28-2014 at 08:12 PM.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:55 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

I think you are over-thinking it. Check and see what's missing. From what you describe, sounds like no spark.

Does the fuel pump prime when you turn the ignition to On?

Old 10-31-2014, 04:21 PM
justforkicks
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I think you are over-thinking it. Check and see what's missing. From what you describe, sounds like no spark.

Does the fuel pump prime when you turn the ignition to On?
No spark, no prime. Fuel pump does not run at all. We tried cranking it and listening for the pump and still nothing. I'm sure it's something stupid wrong with it, its just finding what that stupid something is haha.

Old 10-31-2014, 07:38 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Check and see if you are getting power at the coil, and injectors for a few seconds when you first turn the key to on. (it only lasts about three seconds.....)

Quick Reply: 97 1500 truck. fuse box help.