2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cold blooded SOB

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 05:57 PM
Flue
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold blooded SOB

Now that Canada has shoved this arctic air south of the border, I'm DIW!

What I replaced after last years won't start if it's cold crap-ola fest...um, not much. Coolant sensor, battery and new cable connectors, O2 sensors.

Once I replaced the coolant sensor, I stopped having many problems and had a nice increase in MPG's. But all of a sudden I felt a few bucks while driving and started to act like the timing was out of whack when starting, like sparking on the wrong stroke or before compression stroke had finished.

And refuses to start in this -2 weather. Will give a few feeble kicks, but after 2 failed attempts I have to wait a few hours before trying again.

I know this thing will run like a top in the sub-zero weather.

Anyone have a short list I should start with and go from there. Is it possible my temp sensor is bad after only a few months? Cam shaft position sensor going to crap?

I've also started getting some arcing between the boot and heat shield...crappy plug wires, recommendations?

Thanks for the advice folks.

Old 01-06-2015, 06:21 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well losing all your voltage into the engine block does not help when starting the engine in sub zero temp.

Old 01-06-2015, 06:30 PM
Flue
Veteran

Plug wires are only a year old...should have known better than go with AZ brand.

As far as I can tell, its only one boot, but that could cause the stumbled ignition?

Old 01-06-2015, 06:36 PM
Ham Bone
Champion

Spark issues can cause all kinds of things.

The thing about the wires is the thickness. 7mm. I have house brands for a few years. They are doing fine.

You can pull the heat shields out. All they really do is trap dirt. And help the spark plugs rust.

Old 01-06-2015, 06:41 PM
Flue
Veteran

Thanks, I'll start with new wires....as soon as it's warm enough to not lose a finger, tip of the ear or any toes. coolant temp sens pretty cheap, I prob f'd it up trying to put it back in with out moving alternator, which ended up being moved...will replace it as well.

Old 01-06-2015, 07:44 PM
Ham Bone
Champion

How are your plugs, cap, and rotor?

Old 01-06-2015, 10:38 PM
Flue
Veteran

Replaced wires, plugs, cap and rotor less than 10K ago. Prob just over 5K. Since I barely put 5K on a year.

Old 01-11-2015, 06:47 PM
Flue
Veteran

Update.
Since it was a balmy 20f today, decided to do some needed repairs to the rust bucket.

Replaced all plugs (need to do plenum this summer!), Wires, Distributor Cap and rotor, as well as the Coil and Coolant Temp Sensor.

HOLLY F What a mess! two head shields rust bulging and wouldn't let the socket fit the plugs. Took some time, a little BFH, flat head and lots and lots of cursing.

Then the Rotor was froze solid and wouldn't come off. busted all to crap and had to use small wood chisel to split the plastic cylinder.

Took a brake to watch the first have of the game. then finished putting it all back together.

Fired up better than it had in a LONG LONG time. Oh, forgot to mention, the heavy duty battery clamp snapped on the back end. WTF? Didn't even get it more than finger tight when it did.

However, 10 min into warm up and starts to rev and chug. 2 min later and it dies.

Replaced front O2 sensor last spring. Next to check?

Thanks.

Old 01-11-2015, 07:14 PM
Ram Driver
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the crank shaft position sensor, its a common sensor to go bad on these trucks, and if its the original sensor its probably past time to replace it. It can also cause the problems your having right now.

Old 01-11-2015, 07:40 PM
Flue
Veteran

Thanks. will put it on the list of things to do. stoopid truck, doesn't it know theres lakes full of ice that need a good drilling?!?

Quick Reply: Cold blooded SOB