2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

37s

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 02:13 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kgilhooley31
Ok I will when I get home to my truck. Can you post a link to the under arm extenders? Or are they something you fabbed? Or what did you do to yours
Let's see your setup. Unsure of what 5" RCX you have as some brands have kits with a long lower arm. Does your lower arm just bolt to factory brackets?

I built my own lower control arms for when I went to 35s. More specifically 315 on 17" rim. They cleared better. I'm not a fan of losing any tread by the body as I'd rather have the trail and road take care of that itself.

Name:  photobucket-9326-1352852119293.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  71.5 KB

Again, if you run stock wheel backspacing with 37s, you will be rubbing. Even 33s will rub.

I might machine up a spacer! You think aluminum stock is tough enough, or will that mishape over the miles... I can prolly do steel stock don't know how much is required to swap on the machines at my buddy's place to do so. They generally deal with only aluminum stock.
Accomplish the backspacing however you wish, wheels or spacers. Just be aware of the ramifications of spacers combined with trail use.

Originally Posted by Jeff_S
I'd recommend a little trimming before running 37s due to uptravel. If they are 37x12.50s your control arms shouldn't rub since you have a 5 inch lift and run 35x12.50s already. I'm in the same boat with 35s and a Zone 5" lift but I'm removing the bed this summer and am willing to trim my front fenders to clear 37s. Endgame is 40s once my 1 tons are in.

No trimming is needed if the right placement of the axle and wheel backspacing is accomplished. The context here is that the OP said he will use stock wheel with 37s.

Share what your setup is. Is the Zone 5" lift a match to the RCX one? Lost on what removing the bed has to do with 37s. Running 40s would require trimming bed wheel well if kept. The front axle needs to move forward alot that trackbar and steering get encroached.

Old 01-25-2015, 02:02 PM
Jeff_S
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No trimming is needed if the right placement of the axle and wheel backspacing is accomplished. The context here is that the OP said he will use stock wheel with 37s.

Share what your setup is. Is the Zone 5" lift a match to the RCX one? Lost on what removing the bed has to do with 37s. Running 40s would require trimming bed wheel well if kept. The front axle needs to move forward alot that trackbar and steering get encroached.
Yes, the backspacing will keep you from rubbing while you steer (I have 4.5" of backspacing). My concern is uptravel, so a taller tire at 37", with the same width of the 35" tire, may have some trouble at full compression and rub. I don't really see how wheel size matters if the tire is still 37x12.50...

The Zone lift is just about identical. Rear blocks, new front springs, drop pitman arm, control arms, shocks. As far as removing the bed I just mentioned that because it eliminates any need to trim since there's nothing there

All in all you will probably be fine. Just take the necessary measurements to your wheel wells, fenders, etc.

Old 01-25-2015, 02:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Yes, the backspacing will keep you from rubbing while you steer (I have 4.5" of backspacing). My concern is uptravel, so a taller tire at 37", with the same width of the 35" tire, may have some trouble at full compression and rub. I don't really see how wheel size matters if the tire is still 37x12.50...

The Zone lift is just about identical. Rear blocks, new front springs, drop pitman arm, control arms, shocks. As far as removing the bed I just mentioned that because it eliminates any need to trim since there's nothing there

All in all you will probably be fine. Just take the necessary measurements to your wheel wells, fenders, etc.
Wheel width does have an affect on tire width. Manufacturers will specify what size wheel the measurements apply to.... usually. (some seem to think they should keep that a secret..... no idea why.) Changing your wheel width WILL change the tire width.

Old 01-25-2015, 05:29 PM
newman1367
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey quick question: was wondering what it takes to clear 37s.
After last nights drunken wrench fest, 46's will fit with just a leveling kit. How extreme do you want to go?

Old 01-25-2015, 08:14 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion

So there you have it...you're talking about your backspacing is 4.5". Again you misread what this means to the OP that makes it an issue.

Stock wheel backspacing is 5.5" with a width 8". For some shops, that is too narrow for a 37x12.5 tire. 315s are good compromise. All of this assuming 17" wheel diameter. If you have a 10" wide wheel, 4.5" BS...you're into the fender. All of this under the context of any 5" lift kit.

The RCX 5" kit uses short arms and stipulates 35" tires and wheel backspace 4.5".

The only way this becomes a non-issue is if the OP or yourself don't care and trim or let it self clearance.

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Wheel width does have an affect on tire width. Manufacturers will specify what size wheel the measurements apply to.... usually. (some seem to think they should keep that a secret..... no idea why.) Changing your wheel width WILL change the tire width.
Again...with that logic!!

Old 01-25-2015, 08:15 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion

Originally Posted by newman1367
After last nights drunken wrench fest, 46's will fit with just a leveling kit. How extreme do you want to go?
chicken dinner

Old 01-26-2015, 08:29 PM
kgilhooley31
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, cant really get pics just sold the tires so Im just on my 30 stockers right now. I think I will be sticking with stock rim. I don't have a "Long arm" kit but they are definitely longer than stockers. The bottom one is longer yes. With a wheel spacer of say 2in i think I would achieve the backspacing I would need.