2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

A/C woes

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 04:49 PM
RH31379
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C woes

Ok, here's the story. tracked my a/c leak to the infamous inside the heater box.. While I was waiting to get to that repair my a/c clutch went. I got a used compressor and turned out to be bad. kept blowing fuses. got a second used compressor and now it won't work either. I vacuumed down the system, put 2lbs of refrigerant in and have power to the compressor. The coil is magnetized to. But the compressor will not engage. Any suggestions? Did I get another bad compressor? Thanks

Old 08-23-2015, 11:49 PM
beeker
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RH31379
Ok, here's the story. tracked my a/c leak to the infamous inside the heater box.. While I was waiting to get to that repair my a/c clutch went. I got a used compressor and turned out to be bad. kept blowing fuses. got a second used compressor and now it won't work either. I vacuumed down the system, put 2lbs of refrigerant in and have power to the compressor. The coil is magnetized to. But the compressor will not engage. Any suggestions? Did I get another bad compressor? Thanks
If you are getting power to the magnetic clutch and it won't engage then the clutch friction surface has worn down enough that the clearance is too much for the magnet to engage.
There is a simple fix. I had the same problem. Just remove the center nut on the clutch, then carefully remove the outer disc, watch for the tiny washer shims that you dont loose any. Remove one of the shims and reassemble. Should work now. If not remove another shim.

Old 08-25-2015, 12:41 PM
RH31379
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, I'll give that a try. If it works tho should I be prepared for it to wear out again and need to be replaced?

Old 08-26-2015, 01:34 AM
beeker
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You should be fine for quite a long time if it works. If not remove another shim. If that wears out then get a new clutch on ebay. They are only about $90.

Quick Reply: A/C woes