2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

?'s About Timing Chain

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 04:42 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is that a record for getting banned?

Old 03-05-2016, 04:53 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Originally Posted by stewie01
Is that a record for getting banned?
Not really, he joined several years ago, but, surprisingly enough, he just wasn't that well-received. So, he just does a 'drive-by' every now and again, but, not under that username any more. We are better off without him.

Old 03-05-2016, 04:59 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Not really, he joined several years ago, but, surprisingly enough, he just wasn't that well-received. So, he just does a 'drive-by' every now and again, but, not under that username any more. We are better off without him.
Certainly seems that way.

Old 03-05-2016, 05:07 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by stands2p
many years ago i put the shorter bolt theory to the test and it did not work.
Ain't nuthin' about repeating a thing over and over again that makes it true. Folks hereabouts, most of 'em anyway, know that. You gonna get that smart any time soon?

Old 03-05-2016, 07:15 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My thoughts on all of this, if you're asking...

It is all determined by your level of comfort. The fact is that, at least stock, the pan/gasket is an issue. I am not that comfortable going that deep into the block. I am likely to drop a bolt in the wrong place or otherwise screw things up. I paid to have mine done and they offered to use the new and improved mopar gasket. But, I wanted it done and I didn't want to worry about any "if's." The Hughes plate, for right or wrong, was a "sure" thing. So I went that route. For me, one less thing to have to think about.

And now, back to regularly scheduled debate...

Old 03-05-2016, 08:01 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dbbd1
My thoughts on all of this, if you're asking..
Ain't no point to growing up if you don't get to decide for yourself whether or not to keep your security blanket.

Old 03-06-2016, 09:39 AM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by stands2p
your math and advise has no experience actually working on 2nd gens only copy paste from what you have read.i actually wrench on my ram and have done alot of modifying/testing first hand so my math and advise workmanship come from experience working on my ram not from reading it.

You know this whole truck was engineered, with math right? Not some shadetree mechanics "experience"

Old 03-06-2016, 07:28 PM
mattk
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Geeeeezzz... I didn't mean for this to end up being a huge debate and everyone going crazy. I just went back and saw all the replies(haven't been around the computer much lately to see all that went on here). I understand the back and forth issue with using shorter bolts or using a new pan. For my peace of mind and ease of just buying a kit to install that has all the right bolts and other parts I went with the Hughes Plenum kit and also went with the Cloyes double roller chain. Should be getting around to doing the work here in the next couple of weeks and hopefully everything goes well. Anyways thanks to everyone for their opinion on this matter. I am not taking sides on this one....lol! Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Old 03-06-2016, 08:27 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mattk
Geeeeezzz... I didn't mean for this to end up being a huge debate and everyone going crazy. I just went back and saw all the replies(haven't been around the computer much lately to see all that went on here). I understand the back and forth issue with using shorter bolts or using a new pan. For my peace of mind and ease of just buying a kit to install that has all the right bolts and other parts I went with the Hughes Plenum kit and also went with the Cloyes double roller chain. Should be getting around to doing the work here in the next couple of weeks and hopefully everything goes well. Anyways thanks to everyone for their opinion on this matter. I am not taking sides on this one....lol! Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
Nah. It was just a case of this:

It's just par for the course on Teh InterWeb Thingy. You did nothing wrong, so don't shy away from asking questions or seeking clarity.

Old 03-06-2016, 08:58 PM
mattk
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary-L
Nah. It was just a case of this:

It's just par for the course on Teh InterWeb Thingy. You did nothing wrong, so don't shy away from asking questions or seeking clarity.
Thanks Gary-L. Wasn't shying away, just been busy and had't checked the thread lately. Found it pretty entertaining that it turned out the way it did. Oh well, at least I got some questions answered and all is good!

Quick Reply: ?'s About Timing Chain