2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

?'s About Timing Chain

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 07:19 PM
mattk
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ?'s About Timing Chain

Ok so my 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 with the 360 motor is due for a plenum fix. I am at 136,xxx miles. Been putting it off, but I think it is time for me to get in there and get it done. I figure while I am at it I am going to do the water pump, and timing chain. I have a slight coolant leak at the timing chain cover anyway. So my question is which timing chain set to go with? I have done a search on here and figure I am going with a double roller, but when I look them up I get many sets to choose from. I am confused...which one do I go with? Any brand better than others? Also I am going with a Hughes Plenum kit or is there another one out there that is better? Also while I am at it should I do the Accel tune up kit? I do pull a 7,000# travel trailer and would like a little more power(I know I am not going to gain much, but every little bit help). Any info you guys could provide me with would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-20-2016, 07:51 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For the timing set, pretty much any well respected brand will do ya.

Don't bother with the plenum kit unless you think the aluminum looks pretty. All you need for a permanent fix is shorter bolts.

I don't know what's in an Accel tuneup kit. Ignition modifications will not net you any horsepower gain, so if that's what you're looking for don't bother.

Old 02-21-2016, 03:51 PM
beech2000
Rookie

Originally Posted by mattk
Ok so my 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 with the 360 motor is due for a plenum fix. I am at 136,xxx miles. Been putting it off, but I think it is time for me to get in there and get it done. I figure while I am at it I am going to do the water pump, and timing chain. I have a slight coolant leak at the timing chain cover anyway. So my question is which timing chain set to go with? I have done a search on here and figure I am going with a double roller, but when I look them up I get many sets to choose from. I am confused...which one do I go with? Any brand better than others? Also I am going with a Hughes Plenum kit or is there another one out there that is better? Also while I am at it should I do the Accel tune up kit? I do pull a 7,000# travel trailer and would like a little more power(I know I am not going to gain much, but every little bit help). Any info you guys could provide me with would be greatly appreciated.
I went with the Cloyes timing set for the 5.7. Also did the water pump, all idler pulley's and tensioner, upper and lower radiator hoses. Everything above was purchased from Rock Auto for under $200. (Gates items).
I used Zerek G-06 coolant and Mobil 1 synthetic for the oil change. All good now. Wait until you see the tensioner in the video. It was in pieces. Don't wait to change.

Old 02-21-2016, 04:50 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by beech2000
I went with the Cloyes timing set for the 5.7. Also did the water pump, all idler pulley's and tensioner, upper and lower radiator hoses. Everything above was purchased from Rock Auto for under $200. (Gates items).
I used Zerek G-06 coolant and Mobil 1 synthetic for the oil change. All good now. Wait until you see the tensioner in the video. It was in pieces. Don't wait to change.

HEMI 5.7 Broken Timing Chain Tensioner & Replacement DIY - YouTube
I hope you mean 5.9 - Nevermind, two different users.... lol

Old 02-21-2016, 07:50 PM
mattk
Amateur

Thanks for the replies guys. I was thinking on going with the Cloyes set...so I went ahead and placed my orders tonight. Timing chain set, tensioner, water pump, among some other maintenance items and went ahead and ordered the Hughes Plenum kit. Just wanted to make sure I was getting all the right parts for the plenum and figured at least with the Hughes kit I know everything is right.

Old 02-21-2016, 08:40 PM
Snowfan
Professional

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
Don't bother with the plenum kit unless you think the aluminum looks pretty. All you need for a permanent fix is shorter bolts.
100% TRUE. I manufactured plates until it was pointed out to me that the bolt length is too long to achieve proper clamping force. The 'dissimilar metals' theory is bunk. All you need is shorter bolts and clean metal surfaces. Apply a thin layer of black rtv to both sides of entire gasket.

Save your money and help stop the plenum propaganda.

Old 02-21-2016, 11:30 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Snowfan
The 'dissimilar metals' theory is bunk.
If you're curious enough to search for it, somewhere around here (in the forum) I posted the math that debunks that "just enough knowledge to be dangerous" dissimilar metals myth. Not that it's too hard to get there with the material constants tables if you've got 'em handy.

Good on ya for educating for free when you could profit by exploiting the ignorance of others!

Old 02-21-2016, 11:55 PM
zildjian3707
Veteran

double roller timing chain

Old 02-22-2016, 10:03 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,206 Likes on 2,958 Posts

Originally Posted by beech2000

HEMI 5.7 Broken Timing Chain Tensioner & Replacement DIY - YouTube
Totally different engine than the 5.9. The older motors don't have a chain tensioner, and in all reality, with a double roller chain, you should NOT use one. (on the 5.9)

Old 02-22-2016, 10:37 AM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Totally different engine than the 5.9. The older motors don't have a chain tensioner, and in all reality, with a double roller chain, you should NOT use one. (on the 5.9)
I didnt use one. Opened it up to swap a cam 30k later. Still nice and tight

Quick Reply: ?'s About Timing Chain