2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

96 dodge ram starting problems.

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 03:43 PM
j576
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 dodge ram starting problems.

So my trucks running good, buuuuut. When I run around for awhile and the motors nice and warm when I park for like 10-20 mins, it has troubles not starting. I have no idea why. Seems like its not getting fuel or its not sparking at the right time ? Who knows ? Ideas ?

Old 05-01-2016, 03:48 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,191 Likes on 2,944 Posts

Check fuel pressure first.

Old 05-02-2016, 04:20 AM
Friar Tuck
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Sounds familiar

You getting any trouble codes or Check Engine Light (CEL)? Could be multiple causes, some very hard to pin down... I have the same problem, seems temperature related, and the wait (cool-down) time has increased to over 2 hours. Nothing that will stay down long enough to get it home to check, but it gives the wife an excuse now for the long trips to Wal-Mart!

Old 05-02-2016, 11:03 PM
j576
Professional

Originally Posted by Friar Tuck
You getting any trouble codes or Check Engine Light (CEL)? Could be multiple causes, some very hard to pin down... I have the same problem, seems temperature related, and the wait (cool-down) time has increased to over 2 hours. Nothing that will stay down long enough to get it home to check, but it gives the wife an excuse now for the long trips to Wal-Mart!
Hahaha yeah I agree that its heat related, I have a 2000 Cherokee that has a heat soak issue. So when I park after the motors hot and try to start 10-30 mins later in misfires really bad and usually won't start until I turn the key the second time. However my dodge is not the same symptoms. When I park when its hot and come back say the same amount as my jeep. I turn the key listen for the fuel pump and then turn the key and just turns over and over but no start. Then I turn the key again after a few seconds and starts up ! And I have a fuel pressure gauge on the way !

Old 05-15-2016, 06:27 PM
j576
Professional

Originally Posted by j576
Hahaha yeah I agree that its heat related, I have a 2000 Cherokee that has a heat soak issue. So when I park after the motors hot and try to start 10-30 mins later in misfires really bad and usually won't start until I turn the key the second time. However my dodge is not the same symptoms. When I park when its hot and come back say the same amount as my jeep. I turn the key listen for the fuel pump and then turn the key and just turns over and over but no start. Then I turn the key again after a few seconds and starts up ! And I have a fuel pressure gauge on the way !
Got my gauge and tested. Running I'm getting 50psi. As soon as motors off it jumps down to 40psi then from there slowly goes down to 0.

Old 05-15-2016, 09:51 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,191 Likes on 2,944 Posts

Normal. That's how it is supposed to work. Test again when it won't start.

Old 05-15-2016, 10:39 PM
j576
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Normal. That's how it is supposed to work. Test again when it won't start.
Okay will do, should have tested right after the first test cause it was a bitch to get it started again after the lines had no pressure

Old 05-15-2016, 10:47 PM
Friar Tuck
Captain

You should still get the 50# pressure while it's cranking, and even just by turning the key to RUN. The pump primes for 3 seconds when you turn the key on (normally).

Old 05-15-2016, 10:52 PM
j576
Professional

Originally Posted by Friar Tuck
You should still get the 50# pressure while it's cranking, and even just by turning the key to RUN. The pump primes for 3 seconds when you turn the key on (normally).
Okay so here's exactly what happened, I did the first test and wrote my results up on here. Had to run to the store hoped in my truck to go and try and start. Cranks for like 15 seconds and nothing. Stop cranking then try again with some gas starts up after a few seconds. Then when I let off the gas rpms go super low and almost stall out. Reved it for a little trying to get it not to do that and nothing changed. Put her in gear and drove to the stop sign at the end of my street and stopped. Truck died haha so I got it started again brought it home and just let it warm up and then it was fine ??

Old 05-16-2016, 01:05 AM
Friar Tuck
Captain

HeyYou and I are wondering about the fuel pressure during the crank-no-start and when it dies. Can you attach the gauge and leave it on so you can watch it? Just trying to cross off an intermittent fuel pump. No codes yet?

Last edited by Friar Tuck; 05-16-2016 at 01:09 AM.

Quick Reply: 96 dodge ram starting problems.