2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

high amp Battery Drain

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 09:32 AM
bunker
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default kornfused

Originally Posted by Friar Tuck
Hey Bunker, there were 2 main reasons for the drain, as I see it:

1) The hood light (1 amp) and the off-draw circuit (500mA). yea hood amp was the 1 amp draw I was getting. so maybe the battery drain problem is solved (I hope) I think 0.058 amps is about normal, that was the IOD fuse and Seat belt fuse causing that rest down to 0.008 amps didn't test any further

2) The transmission circuitry, caused by leaving the jumper in for the Transmission Relay. This jumper was supplying 12 volts to the transmission circuitry all the time, regardless of whether the engine was running, or even if the key wasn't in the ignition switch. BAD JUMPER!!! BETTER TO SEE CEL The cel is your friend should I remove the jumper at night when im not driving it until I can find the short?

I did testing there that unregisterduser told me to do. and going from that point with no jumper. but yes I still have to have jumper in to drive truck

DID WE EVER CHECK TO SEE WHY WE WERE GETTING THOSE STRANGE VOLTAGES AT THE COIL?

never followed up on the coil thing either. ill deal with that when we find the relay problems.
thanks for your advice its very helpfull

Last edited by bunker; 05-07-2016 at 09:39 AM.
Old 05-07-2016, 09:35 AM
bunker
Professional
Default yep

The relay should still be out if he's following your instructions.
yes relay was out when doing the test (fist part) didn't need to do bottom test kuz we have voltage

Old 05-07-2016, 11:14 AM
bunker
Professional
Default relay was out yep

The relay should still be out if he's following your instructions.

yep relay was out, and yes I have tried many different relays in its place.

Old 05-07-2016, 03:16 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

He's still getting the codes because you told him to not put the transmission relay in.
At this point we expect them to occur and are intentionally ignoring them for that reason.

Old 05-07-2016, 11:04 PM
bunker
Professional
Default pcm bottom

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
At this point we expect them to occur and are intentionally ignoring them for that reason.
well I took off the pcm and looked under it and all the wires look spankin new. I saw a yellow, red, blue, pink wires coming from the tranny relay. I saw that the yellow wire went to the fuse and the other 3 went to that bolt down wire loom. had engine inline on the plug part.so it must be past that plug???looked at the wire loom part of that plug looked fine, couldn't finger out how to get into the pcm part of that plug. im sure unregistered user knows how to check that. but im stopping here until unreg tells me what to do.

hope everybody had a bodacious weekend

Old 05-08-2016, 04:05 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bunker
well I took off the pcm and looked under it and all the wires look spankin new. I saw a yellow, red, blue, pink wires coming from the tranny relay.
That's the PDC, Power Distribution Center, rather than the PCM, Powertrain Control Module. No worries...

I guess I should have been more specific. What I meant was to look into the relay socket terminals from the top side where the relay pokes into it. Sorry about that!

Old 05-08-2016, 06:09 AM
Friar Tuck
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trans Relay Wiring

I think it's time to get out the ohmmeter and trace the control wires going to pins 85 and 86 on this worrisome Transmission Relay.

The PINK wire on pin 85 comes from the PCM CONNECTOR 2, PIN 30.

The DARK BLUE wire on PIN 86 comes from the PCM CONNECTOR 3, PIN 25.
However, it first goes to SPLICE 116, wherever that is, where it also connects to the GENERATOR FIELD WINDING. The color of the wire remains DARK BLUE.

I have no idea where this splice is physically located, but I suspect the problem is there. There seems to be a good connection between the Generator Field Winding and the PCM.

Good hunting!

Old 05-08-2016, 10:38 AM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Splice 116 is...

Attached Thumbnails high amp Battery Drain-splice-116001.jpg  
Old 05-08-2016, 08:35 PM
bunker
Professional
Default as a tad opened

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
That's the PDC, Power Distribution Center, rather than the PCM, Powertrain Control Module. No worries...

I guess I should have been more specific. What I meant was to look into the relay socket terminals from the top side where the relay pokes into it. Sorry about that!
I checked the socket terminals and they where a tad loose so I have them nice and tight now. no change in testing

Old 05-08-2016, 09:26 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,208 Likes on 2,959 Posts

With the ignition on, do you get 12 volts down to the trans? (I am guessing "No".....)

Quick Reply: high amp Battery Drain