2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Engine code #37

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 04:30 PM
The War Wagon
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Engine code #37

Ramcharger, but it's a '92, with the 318 Magnum, so I thought I'd get more (and better!) tech responses here.

Did the key jangle, and good ol' Code #37 popped up. Transmission solenoid WOULD explain its stumbling, and the engine light doesn't even come ON until you put it in drive - another clue.

A518 auto, with the l/o overdrive on the dash. So somebody recommend me a good source/brand of solenoid, to replace the one that's acting up Thanks!

Old 05-31-2016, 04:36 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Does your trans have the temp sensor? If it does, its external, front drivers side of the trans, on the line coming out to the cooler.

Does TCC lock up?

Old 05-31-2016, 09:10 PM
The War Wagon
Professional
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Does your trans have the temp sensor? If it does, its external, front drivers side of the trans, on the line coming out to the cooler.

Does TCC lock up?

I'm thinking it DOESN'T have the temp sensor - especially since it has a factory transmission cooler. Given the stumbling issue though, a recent rough, off-roading outing, and the age of the vehicle in general, I'll EAT the bad temperature sensor, if it turns out to be THAT.

Old 05-31-2016, 10:10 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Take a peek, and see if it is there.....

I don't think that's your stumbling issue though. Even if the TCC was screwed up, that wouldn't account for it either, unless it's something like it locking/unlocking repeatedly, and you 'feel' it as a miss......

Old 06-01-2016, 10:57 AM
The War Wagon
Professional
Lightbulb

I'll give it a look. I know the engine light does NOT come on, UNTIL you put it in drive... no matter HOW long it idles (I've let it idle ten minutes - then I drive it around the parking lot to get the light to come one, then come back, park, and do the key dance to get the code). That, I think, is the MAIN clue to a bad transmission solenoid.

Old 06-01-2016, 10:59 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

PCM shouldn't even care about the TCC solenoid in a parking lot though...... That seems kinda strange. Of course, it sure wouldn't HURT to change them. (do both, TCC, and O/D)

Old 06-01-2016, 02:25 PM
The War Wagon
Professional
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by HeyYou
PCM shouldn't even care about the TCC solenoid in a parking lot though...... That seems kinda strange. Of course, it sure wouldn't HURT to change them. (do both, TCC, and O/D)
The more I think about it, the more I think changing both at the same time IS a good idea...

Quick Reply: Engine code #37