2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ran great on the highway; rolled to a stop; truck died; needed a tow

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 10:40 PM
Friar Tuck
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Cam sensor has nothing to do with ignition. It's all about injector timing.
Just answering his Question!

Old 06-21-2016, 10:56 PM
wjamesbass
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My $0.02: keep the fuel pump, keep an extra coil in the truck.

My $0.03: keep us informed!

Was there stale (i.e. more than 1 year old) gas in the tank? I know it's a reach, but...

Old 06-22-2016, 12:42 AM
CTX
Rookie

No, the truck gets driven often; fresh gas.

I picked the truck up today and drove it home just fine. My mechanic acknowledged the frustration that comes from this type of problem and basically said "Drive it until it leaves you stranded again" because they were not able to replicate the problem.

It'd be one thing if it were my weekend truck but it's my daily driver and this weighs on my mind.

What does the Auto Shutdown (ASD) Relay do?...my Father is trying to help diagnose the issue too and said to check that out. I couldn't find much about it from a DodgeForum search query.

I'd like to keep an extra (ASD / Fuel pump) relay size on hand in my toolbox.

Old 06-22-2016, 01:07 AM
Friar Tuck
Captain
Lightbulb ASD Relay

The ASD Relay provides 12 volts to the ignition coil and the fuel injectors. The PCM controls the relay.

Old 06-22-2016, 09:47 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

To Expand on what the good Friar has to say , PCM will trip the ASD relay only when it sees the engine turning, and, for about 3 seconds when you first turn the key on. Relays can, and do, fail.... and have as many different failure modes as O2 sensors..... You could try swapping it out, next time the truck won't start. (just swap with the horn relay, should be the same)

Carrying some tools to help troubleshoot until you actually solve the problem would be a good idea here.

Old 06-22-2016, 02:29 PM
CTX
Rookie

UGH! I had to crank it much longer than normal to get it to start initially this morning. It did start though and then ran fine.

HeyYou, you are full of infinite knowledge when it comes to the 2nd gen trucks...Say I hook up a fuel pressure gauge EACH and EVERY time I go to crank my truck...what readings do I want to see? Thank you.

Tools and a few spare parts = check

It looks like I can not swap my horn relay for the fuel system relay on my truck.? Are A, B and E just standard 30amp, 5-pin relays?

Any idea what the specs are on the small relays?...ie. C, F, etc...(pic attached)

Old 06-22-2016, 04:21 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Right about 50 PSI. It may not come up to that immediately the first time you turn the key, but, it should get there while cranking, or, if you cycle the key a couple times. If it doesn't.... pump may be failing.

All the large relays should be pretty much the same. They are all pinned the same.

Old 06-23-2016, 12:32 AM
Friar Tuck
Captain
Thumbs up

To Expand on what HeyYou has to say ...All the small relays on the bottom row are also all the same.

Old 06-24-2016, 07:37 PM
CTX
Rookie

My truck has been running fine. I have even been going out at random times to start it and each time she fires up. I have also been varying the throttle and acceleration speeds when prudent.

I picked up some spare relays from ebay for cheap (Chrysler / Hella), threw the fuel pressure gauge in the truck box and, and picked up a new Delphi TPS and Coil from Rockauto. I have never replaced the TPS and I have had terrible luck with the Borg Warner (BWD) coils. I had one fail me in 300 miles, again leaving me stranded. Luckily my shop diagnosed and replaced it AGAIN no charge (but again with the same BWD coil). Everything else is in check aside from an old_by_age - 60k on it...fuel pump. IME Fuel pumps get grumpy before they go to sleep though...not on and off...

I couldn't find a fuel pump R&R in the DIY section...did I miss something? Just in case.

Old 06-25-2016, 10:46 PM
Friar Tuck
Captain

Do you mean remove and repair or remove and replace?
That isn't in your manual? It's in my copy, I'll see if I can find a link for you to download it.

FOUND IT:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwD...w?pref=2&pli=1

Last edited by Friar Tuck; 06-25-2016 at 11:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Ran great on the highway; rolled to a stop; truck died; needed a tow