2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

99 Ram, possible fuel problems, I think

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 04:12 PM
dtrumbower
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Ram, possible fuel problems, I think

I have a 99 2wd Ram 1500. The other day while drive, it felt like I lost power. Put in neutral and then drive and vehicle kept going.

Made a few stops and all went well. 2nd to last stop the engine died. Tried to get it going and it would start but when gave it more throttle it would die.

After 15 minutes it started and drove to last errand, where it died.

I could get it to start with starting fluid but not stay running.

I get home and check Fuel Relay and ASD relay. They all checked out.
Didn't put a fuel pressure gauge on but when pressing the schrader value in the fuel rail, most of the time nothing came out. One time I had fuel come out.

Sure is looking like a fuel pump. Heck I have over 230,000 miles on the vehicle and pump.

Remove tank. Check the wire harness and get power when key is turned on. Crank engine the power meter surges, like it's suppose to.

Take fuel pump out and do an ohm test on the fuel gauge sender pins and they check out. Next I take a 9v battery and attach it to the ground and relay output pin. The pump runs.

So do I have a fuel pump problem or something else, Hate to purchase new fuel pump if the problem is something else.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Old 08-30-2016, 04:37 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Just because the pump will run, doesn't mean it is putting out adequate pressure. Really need to put a gauge on it, and see what it has to say, but, my guess is, it's pump time.

Old 08-30-2016, 05:20 PM
dtrumbower
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tested in bucket of water and would expect it to pump more. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't.

New one will be ordered.

Old 08-30-2016, 05:45 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Delphi, or Denso please. Skip the air-tek, or other 'off' brands. Unless of course, you LIKE doing this......

Quick Reply: 99 Ram, possible fuel problems, I think