2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

46RE transmission concerns

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 08:10 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Originally Posted by Ram1500Sport
I have also had some transmission issues... Mine seems to hold gears too long and at around 40-45mph at light throttle it will swap between second and 3rd gear repeatedly unless I give it more throttle or back off a little.. I just bought a kit off ebay with new pressure sensor and solenoid.. I'm also going to do the check valve delete.. this kit was inexpensive...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191833647221

Wow. That IS cheap. Used to be just the sensor/solenoid were north of 100 bucks.....

Welcome to DF!

Old 02-24-2017, 08:21 PM
Ram1500Sport
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was shocked when I saw the price! Autozone wanted a bit over $200 for the pressure sensor and solenoid and that didn't include the filter and gasket. I'm on a tight budget so was very happy to find it on Ebay at a good price.

I have been browsing these forums for quite a long time (several years) and finally decided to register today.. This is my go to place for information and how to's in regards to my truck! Best Forum out there for my truck to be honest!

Thanks for the Welcome message! Glad to be here!

Old 02-25-2017, 08:02 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Did you notice it has a cork gasket? Cork sucks! Get the rubber gasket when you install it.

Old 02-25-2017, 10:01 AM
97ramrod1500
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Watch out with those sensors. . . make sure they're either mopar or borg warner brand otherwise its very likely you'll be replacing them again soon. I buy my sensors on eBay every time and if I remember correctly they usually run right around $120-$130 for the 3 inside. As for the cork gasket. I really haven't had bad luck with them as long as you don't overtighten the bolts and tighten them in order from middle out. If you are going to do regular service the mopar reusable one is very nice to have.

Old 03-03-2017, 07:57 PM
Zgreen91
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I havent had any issues so far with the transmission again, and i did end up using the updated filter and just installed the 3rd bolt into the valve body. I had looked at my trans fluid again and noticed it was a little more then a quart low, which could be part of the reason it got hot a last time. I need to still remove the check ball, but have been fighting the damn CEL misfire i have so i can get it in to pass emissions so now the tranmission has taken second priority.

Thanks for all the responses

Old 03-13-2017, 01:09 AM
armynurse
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 46re first to second gear change blip

Seems like these transmissions are a weak point with the Gen II Dodge trucks. Mine was rebuilt about 100,000 miles ago (so I guess I can't complain if it is acting up again now). I am the original owner.

When it goes from first to second gear, it seems like there is a little hesitation or blip before it grabs and holds onto the second gear. RPMs may go up ever so slightly before it grabs second (haven't looked at the tach when it does its little blip thing). Once in second gear it seems to stay there just fine. The rest of the gear changes (to third and OD) are fine.

Possible causes? Band adjustment? Solenoid? Help me sound intelligent when I talk to the transmission folks.

Edit: I thought I was posting a new thread; instead this posted on a currently running thread - sorry - not trying to hijack this thread. But since it is here and I can't figure out how to delete it and start over, please feel free to respond.

Last edited by armynurse; 03-13-2017 at 01:15 AM.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:00 AM
97ramrod1500
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by armynurse
Seems like these transmissions are a weak point with the Gen II Dodge trucks. Mine was rebuilt about 100,000 miles ago (so I guess I can't complain if it is acting up again now). I am the original owner.

When it goes from first to second gear, it seems like there is a little hesitation or blip before it grabs and holds onto the second gear. RPMs may go up ever so slightly before it grabs second (haven't looked at the tach when it does its little blip thing). Once in second gear it seems to stay there just fine. The rest of the gear changes (to third and OD) are fine.

Possible causes? Band adjustment? Solenoid? Help me sound intelligent when I talk to the transmission folks.

Edit: I thought I was posting a new thread; instead this posted on a currently running thread - sorry - not trying to hijack this thread. But since it is here and I can't figure out how to delete it and start over, please feel free to respond.

That very well could be a simple band adjustment. And if that is all it is then i would suspect the front band because that applies during the 1-2 shift. So you can adjust that one without dropping the pan.