2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Buyers remorse on 4.10 gears?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 01:45 AM
brian102
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i wonder if it was that clip "t case saver"? that said you should always stop to check weird vibes after a major modification/repair. that royally sucks brother. i'd scrap it too after all that.

Old 03-22-2017, 03:28 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

At first it sounded like the rear end locked up but then I saw where the front drive shaft straps were broken. I'd crack open that transfer case and the rear end to check it all out.
Sounds like something got sideways and bound up in the transfer case or somehow the 4x4 engaged and that made something in the transfer case lock up.

Then again, my brother in laws old truck had the drive shaft drop out and before it made its exit out of the transfer case it cracked the housing. Funny thing with his is that the straps on the pinion were still in place (crappy design that was fixed in 2000) so his rear u joints wiggled out from what I assume was no retainer clips on their caps.

We need pictures for diagnosis.

Old 03-23-2017, 09:10 AM
Tony4x4nc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Front diff
Front diff
T case laying on crossmember
Yoke from t case to driveshaft
Rear of transmission od unit

Rear diff
Rear diff
Everything in here was good

Old 03-23-2017, 09:44 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks like the front shaft had its u-joint wiggle out when that bolt on the strap broke and punched the transfer case rearward when it hit the ground.

Did you have the front gears replaced? that Pinion nut doesn't look like it's been touched in years.

Old 03-23-2017, 11:56 AM
Tony4x4nc

Only rear gears were done, was planning on having the front done next month.....so currently im looking at replacing the overdrive unit of the trans rebuilt off ebay, replacing/having rebuilt the transfer case, driveshaft, straps and u joints and selling the truck. I figured I would get more for it running then as it sits right now in a storage unit. When I start the truck and put in gear, the output shaft spins likes its supposed to and doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the transmission.

Old 03-23-2017, 12:03 PM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony4x4nc
Only rear gears were done, was planning on having the front done next month.....so currently im looking at replacing the overdrive unit of the trans rebuilt off ebay, replacing/having rebuilt the transfer case, driveshaft, straps and u joints and selling the truck. I figured I would get more for it running then as it sits right now in a storage unit. When I start the truck and put in gear, the output shaft spins likes its supposed to and doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the transmission.

Oh ****!
You know, if it somehow got knocked/put into 4WD, with two different gear ratios, that it would really mess things up? Like it looks now...

Old 03-23-2017, 02:02 PM
Tony4x4nc

I drove approx 1100 miles from Missouri to North Carolina and was running 80 on the highway, don't know how it would have gotten put in 4wd it has the manual pull back lever.

Old 03-23-2017, 02:44 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Probably the front shaft was spinning anyway. According to theory, it *shouldn't* be.... but, theory, and actual practice, are sometimes two totally different things. In any event, your truck trying to use the front shaft as a pole-vaulting.... pole..... would certainly do some serious damage. Is the shaft itself reusable? If it is, I would suspect that the front shaft coming off was a result, rather than a cause.....