2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

noise when braking

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 10:53 PM
ramhorns64
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noise when braking

I just bought a 99 Ram 1500 with 81,000 miles on it. After I drive the truck for a while I get a squeal from the brakes. I pulled the wheels today and the front pads are fine and the back shoes seem ok. They have a rough spot on the middle of the shoe, both sides. I can't figure it out. I have also noticed that the drive shaft is new but the rear axle looks like its been though hell and back. The front roters are rusted. Alot more then I thought a 7 year car should be. Any suggestions?

Old 04-02-2006, 12:06 AM
fiveliterbtr
Veteran
Default RE: noise when braking

The rotors are rusted probably from sitting while waiting to be sold...I'm sure the axle would be alright, it's bare metal and will look like hell after a few years, just make sure the diff. cover isn't weak from rust, have seen a few of them actually rust thru and leak. Not sure about the roughness on the shoes...I know Cherokees have no shoe material in the center of the shoes...can't remember on Rams, but if thats the case, someone may have replaced the shoes with aftermarket ones without having the drum machined or replaced...not sure though without seeing pics.

We can go 2 ways with the brakes, depends on $, time, experience...you got money to put intoo the truck? If not, you could try a couple of things first, let me know.

Old 04-02-2006, 04:32 AM
20dodgeram01
Record Breaker

probally wrong types of shoes.. some have metal in them for strength.. and supposeivly makes it last longer but that metal just makes it sound like your brakes are shot

Old 04-02-2006, 04:33 AM
20dodgeram01
Record Breaker

probally wrong types of shoes.. some have metal in them for strength.. and supposeivly makes it last longer but that metal just makes it sound like your brakes are shot

Old 04-03-2006, 10:24 AM
ramhorns64

ORIGINAL: fiveliterbtr

The rotors are rusted probably from sitting while waiting to be sold...I'm sure the axle would be alright, it's bare metal and will look like hell after a few years, just make sure the diff. cover isn't weak from rust, have seen a few of them actually rust thru and leak. Not sure about the roughness on the shoes...I know Cherokees have no shoe material in the center of the shoes...can't remember on Rams, but if thats the case, someone may have replaced the shoes with aftermarket ones without having the drum machined or replaced...not sure though without seeing pics.

We can go 2 ways with the brakes, depends on $, time, experience...you got money to put intoo the truck? If not, you could try a couple of things first, let me know.
Hey fiveliterbtr I've got money, and experience, what do you have in mind?

Old 04-03-2006, 02:02 PM
ljpierce_ely
Veteran

My experience with brakes has been that squeals are only sometimes a symptom of a problem. Does the truck shimmy at all when you apply the brakes, or do you feel a pulsing in the pedal? Rotors are warped in that case, and that has been a problem with my 98 4x4 Ram. Presuming you don't hear any grinding, then the pad thickness is probably A-Ok. Also, there may be pad there, but there should also be a little tang located at one end of the pad (I believe mine is at the rear of the pad). Does it contact the rotor when you brake? That is the warning indicator that your pads need to be replaced. Finally, does the truck pull to one side when braking? If so, that problem needs to be found out because it could be caused by the caliper on either side. Finally, replacement pads usually come with an anti-squeal type of coating that you sort of "slime" on the pad surface that contacts the caliper. Was that done by the prior owner? If not, you can get some of that slimy stuff at your local parts joint and put it on. Just let it dry a bit before installing the pads on the calipers.

That's as far as my thinking takes me. Good luck and welcome to the forum!!!!

Old 04-04-2006, 02:11 AM
fiveliterbtr
Veteran

ORIGINAL: ramhorns64
Hey fiveliterbtr I've got money, and experience, what do you have in mind?
Buy a brand new truck, easy fix .

Seriously now...1st, I confirmed what the most likely issue is with the rear shoes...after 5 days of Ram ownership, I finally had the chance to pull my truck in at work today to give it a good lookover...the primary (forward) shoe has no material in the middle, the secondary (rear) shoe is "normal"...assuming your current primary shoe is solid all of the way across, someone has probably replaced them with aftermarket shoes, and didn't have the drum replaced or machined...even tho the secondary shoe is solid all of the way across, the primary shoe still decides to rust the center of the drum...without pics, I'm not 100%, but that's probably what's going on...the drum will need replaced or machined if still thick enough, and the shoes will need replaced...don't try to "smooth" them out unless you've got a respirator and some serious measuring equipment...if they're not even thickness all across, you'll end up with the same issue, undestand?

Front rotors...have them measured at Auto Zone or someplace and see if they're machineable...if they are, be sure you or they clean the inside and outside hub/wheel mating surfaces...I even mark the relationship of the rotor and hub with a punch...if the hub is distorted, the rotor "hat" (hub area) is probably also distorted from being torqued down to it for however many months/years...greatly reduces the chances of having "rotor knock" caused by slight warpage when putting it back on in a different spot on the hub...

Front pads...to pretty much guarantee noise-free braking, get yourself a set of ceramic pads...most likely they're not...you can easily tell if they are, you'll be able to see copper colored fibers in the pad material...semi-metallics have iron fibers (silver)...the copper in ceramic pads is much softer, reducing the likelyhood of noise...ceramic pads are quiter, generate less heat, do less wear and tear on the rotors, and dust much less.

If you don't want to buy new pads, try these things, although there's no guarantee it'll help...it might...remove the calipers, I don't believe there's seperate caliper brackets that the pads sit in...99 was the last year for just a caliper me thinks...remove the pads, try not to bend the hold down tabs and clips too much...are the edges of the pads straight? If so, that's one possibility...you'll need to "chamfer" (taper/bevel) the leading and trailing edges of all 4 pads...put your dust mask on, grab your die grinder, and get to work...take the taper 3/4 thru the thickness of the pad, maybe about the last half-inch of each edge...if you're not sure about this, go to a parts store and ask them to show you the difference between chamfered/non-chamfered pads, pretend you'll be buying some soon .

There should be shims on the backs of the pads...if not, you can usually buy them seperate...make sure the shims aren't all rusty/puffy looking...if they are, get new ones...grind the rust from the back of the pad before applying the new ones, if applicable...apply anti-squeal compound to the backs of the pads on the shims...do not get anti-squeal that is like lubricant...it will wear off quickly...get the red or blue stuff that dries tacky...this keeps the pad from moving against the piston, the source of most brake noise...

Finally (geez, I wrote alot)...clean the contact points of the spindle where the pads touch with the grinder...apply moly paste or nickel anti-seize to prevent rusting/pitting again...also, can't picture them now, but if the caliper bolts go into rubber bushings in the caliper, clean the bolts of rust and apply silicone only-based grease...petroleum grease on rubber = future problems.

I'm an ASE certified tech...if there's anything I didn't explain good enough, tough :P. I'm not a good teacher, lol. Naw, go ahead and ask, I'll see what I can do. Also not responsible if you *** up your brakes, if you don't understand something, find someone who does...unless you'd give an all-expenses paid trip wherever you are to fix your noise [sm=goodidea.gif]

EDIT: Get new rear brake hardware if you replace the shoes, it's for the better.

Old 04-04-2006, 12:53 PM
Chopper1
All Star

A couple of other thoughts. Look to see if the front pad is riding on the edge of the rust on the rotor. If it has been sitting long, the rough edge will grow from non use. A wire brush and/or sand paper can knock it down. I also like to take a piece of sand paper and go over the pads and the edge of them to get rid of any rust, sand, etc. that may have gotten stuck in them. I would eliminate sand rust, etc., before replacing parts on the front, if the look good. I would have to agree with the other comments on high dollar/metalic pads. Work good for nascar, but wear down the rotors. Pads are easier to replace.
As far as the rear. If the pad is rough in the center, definately replace. Out of round or moisture has been there. Maybe someone rode around with their foot on the brake. The drums might be easier to just replace than turn. $45 at autozone. Same applies to the front rotors. Depends on shops in your area.

Old 04-04-2006, 03:35 PM
shnormo
Veteran

Another thing is it could be a sticking caliper or bad sliders.

Quick Reply: noise when braking