2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Plenum Gasket TSB and vac leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 07:38 PM
smartobject
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plenum Gasket TSB and vac leak

99 Ram Van 318

I have been reluctant to apply the correction for the leaking plenum gasket (causing knock and oil usage).

Now I have a code P1294 (Target Idle not reached) and a high idle.

Has anyone had the plenum gasket leak and if so, did it advance to a staqe that caused a vacuum leak getting air into the intake and causing the high idle?

In other words, has anyone else had a code P1294 that went away after a new plenum gasket?

I have checked the connections on the injectors, the sensors on the throttle body. Nothing on the motor has been touched in a while and it only sees very light duty, only driven to church on Sundays ;-)

Thank you,
Lee

Old 05-17-2006, 01:37 AM
Socha_62
Record Breaker
Default RE: Plenum Gasket TSB and vac leak

A bad plenum could throw a ton of codes. The oil its burning could be getting caked on some sensors, or just building a ton of carbon up. I would get it replaced ASAP...it helps. I just did mine last week.

Old 05-17-2006, 01:50 PM
DPR250R
Professional

What makes you think the plenum is leaking?

Does your vehicle knock and consume excess oil?

Old 05-17-2006, 02:21 PM
smartobject
Rookie

Right, I've had the knocking and oil usage (no smoke, though and it passes emissions testing) -- started about two years ago.

I changed to a 180 degree thermostat, changed to a cooler (hotter / I forget) spark plug and started using premiuim gas (before the $3.00+ era).

That did help quite a bit, but I still have a occasional knock and about a quart per 1,000 miles usage. I could live with that, but the CEL and P1294 code and high idle are recent in the last week.

It's the wife's transportation so it needs to be tip-top!

Thanks
Lee

Old 03-14-2008, 05:47 PM
OE812
Rookie

I have oil in the intake but when I performed the plenum TSB test, I had positive pressure buildup in the crankcase which indicates I don't have a leak. I don't want to tear it down if I don't have to. Anyone with a similar diagnosis?

Old 03-14-2008, 05:50 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

What do you mean by positve pressure build up? It blew your thumbs off the tubes? Suction means leak.

Old 03-14-2008, 06:12 PM
OE812
Rookie

ORIGINAL: aim4squirrels

What do you mean by positve pressure build up? It blew your thumbs off the tubes? Suction means leak.
It didn't blow my thumbs off but it had venting out of the breather tube when I sealed the pcv hose at the intake and the pcv at the valve cover.

Old 03-15-2008, 11:05 PM
OE812
Rookie

So my guess is I don't have a plenum leak based on the test via the TSB. Has anyone had a similar outcome; pass the TSB but oil leak in the plenum?

Old 03-16-2008, 12:19 AM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even if your plenum is sealed properly you can still have oily residue in the intake. Depending on your engine and PCV condition you might even have some slight oilpooling.
Best case it's gonna be grungy down there.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:56 AM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had pressure like you are saying as it blew air out of the pcv and breather on the valve covers. I didn't have a lot of oil down my TB but had a tad bit starting to form at the rear. I had the pleneum fixxed anyway as I didn't want to mess with it in the future. I know my lower intake manifold gaskets had gone bad and I kind of think my pleneum had as well even though it didn't have suction when I did that test.

Quick Reply: Plenum Gasket TSB and vac leak