Go Back   DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Ram > 2nd Gen Ram Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

7 pin RV Wiring

Old 08-13-2006, 03:19 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Default 7 pin RV Wiring

Does anyone out there have a wiring diagram for the back end of the 01 ram? I'm somewhat novice - so I need the color & descriptions. I'm trying to wire-up a 7 pin rv harness but I can't for the life of me find the BLUE wire for the trailer brakes. I found the purple (reverse) and black (aux) and grnd but the rest are a little fuzzy... I have the "tow package" with the blue connector up front under the dash for the brake controller, but the hitch and harness are not "factory". If you have a diagram, or can explain - please help! Thanks!
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
Old 08-13-2006, 04:42 AM
Record Breaker
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to The Burning Rom
Default RE: 7 pin RV Wiring

This should help you out: http://dodgeram.org/tech/mods/electric/trailer_wire.htm

COMING SOON! TBR billet fuel injector spacers! []
Old 08-13-2006, 06:28 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Thanks, I guess that confirms that I'll need to run some wires from the front. I was hoping they would all be right there in the back. Still wondering about the relay that was a "must" in the referenced topic. The TSB addressed 94-97 trucks. Mine is an 01. Do I still need to add a relay? Or has the headlight switch been beefed up to correct the issue?
Old 08-13-2006, 05:51 PM
Record Breaker
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to The Burning Rom

I'm not sure about the relay. I do know they changed the headlight switch in 98.

You can download the full factory service manual for the 2001 trucks here: http://www.dodgeforum.com/m_340929/tm.htm

COMING SOON! TBR billet fuel injector spacers! []
Old 08-14-2006, 03:15 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Thanks for the link to the service manual - and thanks to Steve00 for posting it. That is AWESOME! Hopefully I never need it, but I'm sure it will come in handy on many occasions. The wiring diagrams are a little like a foreign language to me, but I think I'll be able to manage my way through it. Didn't get time today to pursue this project - hopefully later this week. If anyone else has a way to explain "Harness wiring for Dummies" [&:] - I'd still appreciate it. Between the service manual diagram, the 7-pin harness diagrams, the trailer brake controller diagram, and the brake controller adapter plug diagrams...this is far from a success yet Thanks again - I love these boards - hopefully I'll get smart enough to return the favors someday...
Old 08-14-2006, 05:19 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Default RE: 7 pin RV Wiring on '01 Ram

I finally get it -duh. Sat down and studied the diagrams for the truck and it all makes perfect sense now. (Just had to prove it to myself I guess). Here's how it works at least on my '01 Ram... The brake controller (POD by Reese/Tekonsha) is basically plug n play with the blue trailer brake connector already in the truck just behind the dash near the e-brake pedal. The diagrams all match up to the proper pins (although the controller shows that the HOT 12v wire should be Red/Blk mine is actually Rd/Or). Basically all the wiring for the rear of the truck (this may be overstated) goes through a connector (C129 if you're following the diagram) This connector is located near the body-mount, behind the left front wheel. The exceptions are (as stated in the previous recommended post) the 12v accessory wire (Rd/Or), and the Trailer Brake (LtBlue) end at this connector. So when wiring a 7-pin connector, both of these wires have to be extended to the rear bumper/connector. The diagrams for the truck indicate that both of these wires should be 12ga, which is what I plan to do. Also, if I'm reading my diagram correctly, there is already a trailer tow relay installed on my '01, protecting the headlight switch. So, now it makes perfect sense...on paper...hopefully it works just as flawlessly when I install it.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:48 AM
Veteran
Garage is empty, add now

Default RE: 7 pin RV Wiring on '01 Ram

Sounds like you got everything sorted out. Good luck. But here is another decent link with some pictures that helped me out when I did my wiring: http://www.etrailer.com/faq/dbc.asp One warning. If you mount the brake controller under the ashtray as shown on this site, it may cover your diagnostics connector, which you need to hook up to a scan tool. The connector is easy enough to pop out of the metal bracket, which is what I decided to do instead of moving the controller.
Old 05-15-2010, 03:57 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram 1500
Default red wire with Purple just before tow wire harness 06 ram

I was checking for the Aux wire and when I used the circuit tester I accidentally poked through to the frame and had a nasty spark. I just haven't been able to locate where this wire comes from. Testing it again I don't get anything from it. Any help would be great.
Old 05-15-2010, 03:57 PM

Tags
06, 2006, 99, board, cummins, diagram, dodge, durango, end, hitch, pin, plug, rv, trailer, truck, wiring