Go Back   DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Ram > 2nd Gen Ram Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1999 Dodge 1500 trans problem

Old 09-19-2006, 12:55 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Default 1999 Dodge 1500 trans problem

My trans does not shift correctly. It won't shift from gear to the next. It will eventually shifts but not correct. If I start out and it won't shift into second, I will put it into netural and let the RPM drop and then put it back in drive it seems to work. Once in drive it works ok. Any suggestions?

Grovers
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
Old 09-19-2006, 01:04 AM
Captain
Garage is empty, add now

Default RE: 1999 Dodge 1500 trans problem

When is the last time it was serviced, fluid, filter & bands? Also what type of tranny do you have, what size motor?

1999 Dodge Ram Sport 4x4 5.9
PATC 46RE
52 MM TB
180 T-stat
Double roller timing
Bilstein HD shocks
Mopar air intake
90 Watt
Old 09-19-2006, 01:32 AM
Captain
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to radwebster Send a message via Yahoo to radwebster

not sure if it was switch over in 99, but one year they switched to an electronically controlled trans. if the speed sensor in the back axle is bad, your trans will not shift correctly. does your speedo work correctly, and do you have any light son the dash (ABS, brake,check engine)?
Old 09-19-2006, 02:30 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to shott8283 Send a message via Yahoo to shott8283

make sure your TV cable didnt come loose at the throttle body.. it would make the tranny go hay wire..
Old 09-20-2006, 11:09 PM
Garage is empty, add now

My truck is a 1999 Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab SLT with a Magnum 5.9L SMPI motor and has a 4 speed automatic transmission. I'm not sure of the model of the trans. It does have overdrive. I have done nothing to the trans since I have owned the truck (Feb. 06) On the window sticker information sheet it has under "Trailer Tow Group" ( Transmission - 4 speed Automatic $975 ) is this an upgrade to the standard transmission for towing? Any way I thank you for sending me information on things to try.

Grovers
Old 09-20-2006, 11:13 PM
Record Breaker
Garage is empty, add now

Send a message via AIM to The Burning Rom

Quote:
ORIGINAL: grovers
I'm not sure of the model of the trans. It does have overdrive. I have done nothing to the trans since I have owned the truck (Feb. 06) On the window sticker information sheet it has under "Trailer Tow Group" ( Transmission - 4 speed Automatic $975 ) is this an upgrade to the standard transmission for towing?
Your transmission is a 46RE.

The trailer tow group upgrade for the transmission consists of an aux. cooler and a transmission temp. sensor.

It may be time for a fluid/filter change and a band adjustment.

Also make sure your TV cable that runs from the throttle body to the transmission isn't loose.

COMING SOON! TBR billet fuel injector spacers! []
Old 09-22-2006, 12:58 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Thanks for all the help, you guys are great.

I think I will try the oil change/filter/band adjustment/throttle body check. Now since I will have the pan off should I install a shift kit? Say like the Transgo or Superior products? Will this help for future operation?

Grovers from Minnesota
Old 09-22-2006, 10:53 AM
Veteran
Garage is empty, add now

A shift kit is always a good idea. It makes the tranny shift quicker, which reduces slippage and wear. I just had a Superior shift kit installed last week in my truck. It eliminated a vibration that had developed. The vibration occured when in the torque converter locked up and I was lightly accelerating. The truck shifts a little firmer, but it isn't harsh. Like the others wrote, check the adjustment on the TV cable also. It should have no more than 1 mm of play. If it is shifting late, it may be adjusted too tight. Here is a link that gives a description on the adjustment. http://www.v8performance.com/tipsandtricks.htm#TVCable
Old 09-23-2006, 01:02 AM
Veteran
Garage is empty, add now

Get the trans shifting properly before installing the shift kit. Check the output speed sensor and the shift solenoids. I don't think a simple fluid and filter is the issue here. could be a pressure regulator or shift govener. If you have access to a pressure gauge this would be a great place to start. See the Merry Christmas post for the test ports and pressures. Once the trans is sound then a shift kit or aps valve body is a good idea.
2001 ram1500 sport offroad qc 5.9 46re trans 4.10 lsd 4x4 , towing pkg 17's truxedo roll up,superchips ,aps valve body ,bazooka 3" exhaust,skyjacker hydro 7000 shocks,BFG A/T'S,avs vent shades, k&n air filter,ebc brake pads, taylor spiro pro wires
Old 09-23-2006, 01:02 AM

Tags
1995, 1999, adjustment, band, dodge, problem, ram, shift, spirit, transmission