2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

question about the (heavy service group) and the (off road package)

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 12:15 AM
mixedkid
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about the (heavy service group) and the (off road package)

i know the the heavy duty service comes with alot of useful features, i just recently went to the dealership to get a spec cheet of my 00 dodge ram 4x4 sport to be suprise that i have alot than what i had exspected. i have the the heavy duty service group but not the off road package.

my question is what is the unique suspension? i know its the trussed dana 44, on my bluid sheet is says DANA M44/216MM. im wondering if those are two different front ends. also on the spec sheet it had the anti slip on there too. what exactly is in the front of an stock off road package, ive notice that they sit taller in the front then a non off road truck. is it a different shock? or a spacer? or is it just naturaly that high? can some one help me out on what the special skid plate is? how it different from the heavy duty group? sry for all the questions im new to all this

Service Group --- Heavy Duty, includes 136-amp alternator, 750 amp battery, auxiliary automatic transmission oil cooler (not available with 3.9L V6 or manual transmission), transfer case skid plate (4x4 models only) and heavy duty engine cooling (Standard on 2500 and 3500 Chassis Cab models)

and the off road group had

Off-Road Group
--- Includes the Heavy-Duty Service Group, limited-slip rear differential, unique suspension, special skid plates, tow hooks, 4.10 axle ratio, fog lamps, special graphics, off-road tires, and 17" cast aluminum wheels

here's the link where i got my infomation from http://dodgeram.info/2001/models/1500.html

Old 08-27-2008, 10:15 AM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Offroad editions sit higher because they have different coil springs up front. They also have larger but not longer shocks but shocks do nothing for the ride height of the vehicle. I think they also have an extra leaf in the rear but I'm not positive on that.

As for the trussed D44 do you know what trussing is? I will see if I can find a picture for you. Just because you have the D44 doesn't mean you have it as all trucks came with the D44. I doubt you have it but I will see if I can find pictures to show you so you can check.

The front axle in the offroad edition is just a open differential and the rear has a limited slip. A crappy one I must add. Sounds likes you have that too.

Not sure on the special skid plate. I have the Offroad edition but not sure which skid plates the regular model does and doesn't have so I don't know which extra ones I have.

You also get tow hooks with the offroad model.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:18 AM
hometheaterman
Champion

The photo's were originally from Pavementsucks.com I think DJ Gaston did them.

Anyway here is a non trussed axle
Name:  offroadaxle3.jpg
Views: 3944
Size:  37.1 KB

Here is one that is trussed. You can see how the axle housing is just beefier. That's basically all it is.
Name:  offroadaxle4.jpg
Views: 3658
Size:  47.6 KB

Old 08-27-2008, 02:38 PM
mixedkid

thanks hometheaterman! i really appreciate it

Name:  IMGP0272-1.jpg
Views: 1209
Size:  88.5 KB

dose it look like i have it?

do you know of a website that has a spec sheet of an off road package so i could compare to it?

Old 08-27-2008, 03:41 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

Kind of hard to tell in that photo as I can't remember exactly what mine looks like but comparing it the one above it looks like you have the non offroad model one. Also does your rear axle have a tag on it somewhere telling you the gear ratio? The Offroad editions will have 4.10 gears.

Do you have the tow hooks? I'm guessing you don't have the offroad package since your build sheet doesn't say so but who knows.

I don't remember the sites that tell you what the offroad package includes and I'm not sure if I remember everything or not.

Basically it's got a 1.5" or so of additional height over the stock one, tow hooks, additional skid plates, trussed front axle, lsd in rear, 4.10 gears, larger not longer shocks, transmission cooler(I'm assuming this is the hd service group), 17" wheels, and additional badging. Basically what you posted above that it has.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:02 PM
mixedkid

i dont have the off road package, i know that. i have the 3.55 gear ratio that was in the bulid sheet. i have the hd service group, just not the off road package. i was just is your spec sheet suppose to be prvite? or can you share it?

Old 08-27-2008, 06:12 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

I have no idea. I don't see why you couldn't share it but I honestly have no idea. So what are you wondering then? If you don 't have the offroad package are you wondering what you can add to make it like one or what? I'm confused as to what you are trying to do.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:44 PM
mixedkid

i just wonderin on how close my truck was to one thats all. i figured out i can add spacers in the front to raise it to level it out right? i just wanted to compare my spec sheet to somebodys elses that had the off road package thats all. thanks for you help i apprecate it!

Old 06-29-2023, 11:53 PM
Ol_Red_5.2

I’m actually quite curious about mine, mine is a 2001 ram 1500 with a 5.2 v8 and 5 speed manual, with the heavy duty service package and off road package

Quick Reply: question about the (heavy service group) and the (off road package)