2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fuel Gauge working again!! But have Question.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 03:29 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Fuel Gauge working again!! But have Question.

as many know i havent had a fuel guage for about 10 months....its been stuck on full....

Well someone told me that they had the same thing happen, and then just loosened fuel pump wiggled it and they heard the floater drop....

Well thats the case.....i loosened the ring around fuel pump, twisted the pump a little and i heard the floater splash into the fuel.

Turned on the truck, and immidiatly the gas guage went right to E....go figure lol.....Well by my calculations (going by trip) i had about 15 miles left of gas.

Well i figure that as about 1.3 gallons....I went and put $15 in which is 5.003 gallons....so around 6 gallons...

Well my question is Do you guys have fluxuation with the guage? Its right between 1/4 and E....which seems about right, but if i brake it goes past 1/4 a little and if im on gas is goes towards empty. Is this normal?

havent had a guage in a long time and cant remember if it was like this before.

Thanks for the replys.

Old 12-28-2010, 03:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Yep, mine is nice and stable ABOVE about half a tank, once below that point, it develops a serious case of "the floats".... step on the gas, gauge goes down. Step on the brakes, gauge goes up. All it is is the float reacting to the gas sloshing around in the tank. No worries.

Old 12-28-2010, 03:40 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Neither of mine move like that. Maybe it's just a little sticky or corroded from being in one position for so long and will work itself out.

Old 12-28-2010, 03:41 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion

we'll see im going to go put more fuel in it later and see if that helps....i think you may be right though....we'll see.....at least its working though

Old 12-28-2010, 03:57 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zman17
Neither of mine move like that. Maybe it's just a little sticky or corroded from being in one position for so long and will work itself out.
Mine does not fluctuate either, but at this point if it is working... I wouldn't worry about it :P Mine gauge works fine, but has a hickup between 1/4 - 1/2 tank sometimes. It is rare that it happens, but when it does happen, it only does it between that range. If I start my truck between those levels, sometimes the fuel level won't register and the needle will drop to E, and the gas light will go on. If you let the truck idle, the needle eventually rises (not to where it should be, but higher than E and the gas light will go off) Drive for a while to drop the gas level. Shut the truck off and restart, and the gauge will continue to work fine. from 1/4 tank to empty. I assume it is the sender... but not about to replace the working fuel pump to fix that minor issue.

Old 12-28-2010, 04:06 PM
pro tech
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Glad it worked out for ya....LOL....drove me nutz.

I was able to wedge my skinny azz up in the fender well and loosen the lockring without dropping the tank. I tried beating the crap out of the tank with a huge rubber mallet, but couldn't get the float to drop that way.

Anyway, as far as the fluctuation below 1/4 tank, mine has done that since I bought it brand new. Hasn't gotten any better or worse over the years. Take off fast....it goes down, stop fast....it goes up.

^

Old 12-28-2010, 04:20 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion

yea i lowered the tank a bit....just dropped the screws to end of bolts....and i used a pry bar and a hammer, and got it to spin around. My muffler is cut out so i was able to sit straight up right there and do it lol...didnt have to unplug or take apart anything.

Quick Reply: Fuel Gauge working again!! But have Question.