2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

manual locks and windows to power?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 01:59 AM
tatitup8
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default manual locks and windows to power?

anyone know how to convert my ALL around manual locks and windows to power locks and windows? being everything (panels, switches, motors, wiring, etc.)

[i know im posting alot lately but im new to the forum and have alot of questions]

Old 12-28-2010, 10:34 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,199 Likes on 2,951 Posts

The power lock portion is actually a part of the door latch.

You will need the latches, switches, door panels, wiring harnesses, window regulators, and probably a few other things I haven't thought of as well...... Basically, you want to find a truck that has what you need, and take it ALL. I would look at your truck, and see if you have the connectors for the door harnesses. (mine has two, but, I have power mirrors as well.)

If you find a complete truck in the yard, I would just grab both doors. Good luck with that though.....

Old 12-28-2010, 12:51 PM
tatitup8
Veteran

i know a guy in gilmer that will give me a whole two doors.. but what if i dont have wire harness in my door already? i wanna keep the outside part of the door, but change the inside.. can i take the harness out of the other guys door and move it to mine? if so where does the harness go to? the cpu or what?

Old 12-28-2010, 12:54 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

you can transfer parts from door to door without any problems that I am aware of. Trouble comes on the truck side of the harness. If you don't have that, you will have to get it, and put it in. (not a minor undertaking.....) Look on the inside, on the drivers side, right above the ebrake pedal. There might be two connectors up there that aren't hooked to anything. (there is probably a plug in the door frame right in that vicinity as well. Just below the upper hinge.) See if ya got 'em. If ya don't, life just got a lot more complicated.

Old 12-28-2010, 01:12 PM
tatitup8
Veteran

i didn;t see any non in use harness'... what now?

Old 12-28-2010, 01:19 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Need to either find a donor truck, or get a parts list together, and head off to the dealership...... keep in mind, that is NOT going to be cheap.

They might be tucked up under there a ways........ and they are 'inside' the panels there..

Old 12-28-2010, 01:26 PM
tatitup8
Veteran

do you have an idea of what they look like? i can take the panel off and strip away to find em.. lol

Old 12-28-2010, 01:38 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Boot inside door frame:
Name:  GEDC0193.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  46.6 KB

Connectors on the inside are located up there.... not a very good pic.... they are tough to see. Above, and behind the interior trim panel in the doorframe there.

Name:  GEDC0194.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  70.7 KB

Old 12-28-2010, 01:49 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

I looked into it a while back after I did a cruise control retrofit in my base model truck. At least in my 01, looks like the central timer module controls part of it. After I found that I woudl have to swap it, i scratched that idea. Your truck may be different (did not see a year mentioned).

If your that comitted, you could still do the install and create your own harness. If I ever do the swap I will make my own so I don't have to deal with the CTM. They can get expensive, and as I recall (don't quote) require some sort of programming with the drb.

On a side note, DEI makes electric lock poppers fairly cheap. I thought about installing these when I installed my remote start... but decided not too.

Old 12-28-2010, 04:39 PM
tatitup8
Veteran

sounds complicated.. its a 99 btw..

Quick Reply: manual locks and windows to power?