3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Sound system help

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 08:29 PM
Dinger838
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks a ton eric! learn something new everyday. maybe i will amp my speakers now hmmm

Old 04-07-2010, 09:13 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ericemery
Ok, you will need to get am amplifier install kit. Depending on the amp it could be as big as 4ga or as small as 8ga.
That amp install kit should come with RCA's to get the signal from the radio. for that you will need a high level converter like I listed above.

The amp needs power, ground and remote (switched power) and a signal.
The power will come from the battery, the ground will just be to a chassis ground, the remote will be to any source that has power when the key is on, and doesnt when its off.

The Rca's just plug into that highlevel converter and run run to the amp.
Couldn't have said it any better.

Dinger, if you have high quality speakers you will definitely notice a difference amped. In my first truck I had Infinity Kappa components running off a high power JVC Arsenal head unit, when I sold that and got my Integra I put the same system in it but added a 4ch amp. The difference was amazing, I thought they sounded good before but with the amp they were much crisper and cleaner. I wouldn't dream of building up a really nice system without a solid amp now.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:20 PM
bwalters86

just my 2 cents... i had a converter installed on a factory headunit before and had to fade it all the way to the front to cut the subwoofer from pounding my head off... so you may want to install a toggle switch for your remote amp wire, or atleast get a amp that has bass control **** so you can turn it off when you don't want the bass

Old 04-10-2010, 08:15 AM
gsxrida1980

chick rolling around in a thumping dakota...hot!

Old 04-11-2010, 08:04 PM
dakotagirl2287
Amateur

thanks everyone for the help. we did a test fit for the sub and it looks like we're going to have to build a bracket or some sort of support for it. anyone who has the new body style dakota knows about the little hump underneath the back seat. the box is a little bit too big and the two bolts that hold the seat to the floor are hindering the box to sit properly. we're trying to figure out if we can take those two bolts out or if we're going to have to build a bracket/stand over them to secure the box too...is it possible to get those bolts out? or is it best to just let them be? thanks a bunch!

Old 08-24-2015, 04:32 PM
xNeed6SpeedX
Default Bump for install help

Bumping the thread if you can help with this. Hooked up my amp and all my wires, grounds, antenna adapter etc. My issue is the blue/white wire that is the amp control will not power on the unit. I believe the ST did not come with a stock amp of any kind so am being led to believe that wire is useless. Should i just connect it to an accessories wire instead?

Old 08-30-2015, 12:58 PM
italiandominator
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ericemery
Well, by system, what do you mean? Subs and an amplifier? or interior speakers and amps and subs?

You are going to need a high level converter. Something like this...
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...mpaign=froogle

Welcome to DF.

Yup, if you want to keep your factory head unit, you'll need an adapter like he said. If you go to PAC electronics website, they have a whole slew of adapters you can go with. The nice thing, is that they have several other type of adapters if you wanna add things like usb charging ports, security systems, rear camera, blue tooth audio and phone, etc.

Another option if you want to keep the factory "look" but want a better radio without having to make a custom bezel etc, is to check out some of the head units with touch screen display that fit just like the factory radio. I got one several years ago that came with touch screen, rear camera inputs, nave, blue tooth audio/phone, etc. It's def better than the stock radio and cheaper than a MyGig, but being an off brand Chinese thingy it has it's downfalls. (ex. volume **** doesn't like to always turn things up or down just right) Though, over the years I've seen other similar manufacturers (some still Chinese) do the same thing, but with what appears to be better quality overall, plus... the chinese one I got did come with a manual, but all it has in it is pictures showing you what the different features are, but nothing on how to actually use / customize / trouble shoot anything. Overall I like it, but thinking of upgrading to a simple aftermarket radio that I can sync to a mini tablet to do all my biddings.

Quick Reply: Sound system help