3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

head lamp switch

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 09:14 AM
KS Cowboy
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question head lamp switch

Howdy from the land of the lost. I still have my Dakota, it still is running , and i aint died as of this moment.

Does anyone have any idea if ya can take and replace a headlamp switch that doesnt have the auto light selection, with one that has it with out having to have a dealership activate that feature in the computer?

I hate that they have all of these things that they can activate and dis-activate with proprietary tooling.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:42 AM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 81 Likes on 78 Posts

You will not get auto headlamps by swapping in a new switch with an 'auto' selector. There's more to the auto light feature than just the switch.

Old 03-06-2015, 03:12 PM
archemedes74
Veteran

there is a sensor too, what else is there?

Old 03-07-2015, 08:04 AM
Netdemon01
Rookie

I did this with our 2012 Grand Caravan a few months back. I purchased an OEM switch with auto on it from Ebay and swapped them out. Like dakotaff said, it does not really give you the full "auto" feature, but it does let you never have to touch the switch ever again. The low beams come on when the ignition is on, and they turn off when the ignition is off, sort of acting like DRLs but obviously a tad brighter. I just don't like having to remember to manually turn the switch so I will be investigating doing this on my Dakota as well.

If you are wanting it to truly be auto and react to a light sensor, that is a different beast. Your truck would obviously need the light sensor if it is not already there, and a dealership would most likely have to activate that feature.

Old 03-08-2015, 04:28 PM
KS Cowboy
Veteran

Originally Posted by Netdemon01
I did this with our 2012 Grand Caravan a few months back. I purchased an OEM switch with auto on it from Ebay and swapped them out. Like dakotaff said, it does not really give you the full "auto" feature, but it does let you never have to touch the switch ever again. The low beams come on when the ignition is on, and they turn off when the ignition is off, sort of acting like DRLs but obviously a tad brighter. I just don't like having to remember to manually turn the switch so I will be investigating doing this on my Dakota as well.

If you are wanting it to truly be auto and react to a light sensor, that is a different beast. Your truck would obviously need the light sensor if it is not already there, and a dealership would most likely have to activate that feature.
This is exactly what I am wanting to know. That function is just fine for me.

Old 03-10-2015, 02:04 AM
italiandominator
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe you could try a DIY hack? I.E. get a quality photo sensor from amazon or rip one off a junker, connect it, using an add-a-circuit, to a fuse that always has power when the vehicle is running, splice in a SPST push button switch that you mount to the dash (so you can turn the auto feature on/off) and splice in the entire set up to the existing head lamp wires. So, they still function like they always do, but if the photo sensor actually works the way its supposed to, if you push the button to leave the auto feature on at all times, when you start the car the lights should come on automatically whenever it's dark out...but, you can turn it off from the button switch and operate them as normal when you want to...idk, just an idea.

Old 03-12-2015, 12:52 PM
Netdemon01
Rookie

Not sure if your 2006 has the same dash setup as my 2010, but Dodge sure as hell did not make removing the headlight switch very easy! I messed with it for about 15 minutes and gave up, afraid to break all the plastic dash panels surrounding it.

My '12 GCaravan switch comes out in seconds by simply pushing in on it, clocking it one direction and pulling it out. Anyone have any tips for the Dakota?

The other benefit to forcing these to be "auto" and brighter DRLs is because of PA laws (other states probably as well) where you have to remember lights have to be turned on if you have to use your wipers, and lights have to be turned on in construction zones.

Old 03-12-2015, 05:25 PM
Reject
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Netdemon01
Not sure if your 2006 has the same dash setup as my 2010, but Dodge sure as hell did not make removing the headlight switch very easy! I messed with it for about 15 minutes and gave up, afraid to break all the plastic dash panels surrounding it.

My '12 GCaravan switch comes out in seconds by simply pushing in on it, clocking it one direction and pulling it out. Anyone have any tips for the Dakota?

The other benefit to forcing these to be "auto" and brighter DRLs is because of PA laws (other states probably as well) where you have to remember lights have to be turned on if you have to use your wipers, and lights have to be turned on in construction zones.
Removing the Headlight switch on my 05 (Same as 06) takes about 10 minutes its fairly easy.
Remove Dash Side Panel by Door.
Remove Parking Brake Handle. Which you can pop the wire out of, then to reattach put panels back and secure, then pull wire out, and re-connect (I just put a new release on my truck)
Remove Lower Dash Panel, 2 Screws on bottom. Cant remember if any on side. Top is clips.
Remove Upper Dash Panel, 2 Screws on side, rest is clips on Pass Side, and top.

Old 03-12-2015, 05:37 PM
Netdemon01
Rookie

Cool thanks. I will give it another try in that order. In my first attempt, I removed the parking brake handle by popping the wire out, then I removed the 2 screws on the bottom of the lower dash panel. I pulled on that sucker pretty hard but the top clips weren't budging. The step I missed is probably to remove the side panel first like you said. I wouldn't be surprised to see some more screws behind that. Thanks!

EDIT: Yeah that side panel was key. It had multiple screws behind it. Plus the radio bezel had to be popped off on mine because two screws were behind that as well. Finally got the headlamp switch off though and took it apart.

And not surprising, just like my '12 GCaravan, the circuit board has everything required for "auto" lights, but the **** is not physically able to be turned counter-clockwise past the "off" position to where the "auto" function is located. There is a slot that sets the rotational limits. If one was brave enough that slot could likely be filed down. Or just go to rockauto and purchase the new switch for $32.
Part# 1S7780 has auto, fogs, & cargo light
If you want Mopar the same switch is about $40.

IMG_20150312_184549_zpsg6kogixg.jpg
IMG_20150312_184650_zpsgr3sbi2i.jpg

Last edited by Netdemon01; 03-13-2015 at 09:31 AM.

Quick Reply: head lamp switch