Go Back   DodgeForum.com > Dodge SUVs > Dodge Durango > 3rd Gen Durango
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


3rd Gen Durango 2011 models

2011 Durango Citadel Pushbutton Start Problems

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 05-16-2011, 10:50 PM
r-rango r-rango is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2
Question 2011 Durango Citadel Pushbutton Start Problems

I've had my Durango Citadel for 45 days now and have about 2700 miles on it. Last Monday, went to leave the house and it would not start. The key FOBs were both unresponsive and when I pushed the button to start it, I got nothing. It was completely paralyzed. I could unlock the vehicle by touching the door handle, but that was all. I couldn't even get the thing out of park. Called Roadside Assistance after getting NO help from the Service Department at the Dealership I bought the Durango from. They couldn't even tell me how to override the shift lock (my wife found it in the manual - no guys ever read the manual, right?). Anyway, got the thing towed to the Dealership and contacted them the next day. They put me in a RAM 1500 Quad Cab 4x4, which I was good with (my wife hated it). So they finally got to look at it on Wednesday and had to go through a reset procedure to get the car started again. They stated that the ignition system was not signaling the key FOBs correctly and that Chrysler needed to complete a software patch for the ignition module. Apparently, they claim this is a problem on all 2011 Chrysler makes with the pushbutton ignition (haven't all other car manufacturers been doing this for several years? Wouldn't they have capitalized on technology that has been around for awhile by selecting one that had the kinks worked out of it?) I've been getting the runaround since last Wednesday. Everyday I call the Service Advisor and get the same story. They have not heard from the Support line from a certain individual with a fix yet (like there was only one guy working this problem). Everyday, I ask isn't there someone else that they could talk to or get more information from? I called the Service Manager Friday and was assured he would look into it further today (Monday). I got a call from the Service Advisor with the same info I got last week. He also got an ear full from my wife when he called our house and she answered while I was at work. So enough is enough. I called the Dodge Customer Satisfaction hotline and submitted a complaint. About an hour later, they called back saying a part was being ordered and would be in Wednesday. Hold the phone, never did they mention that there were any "part" problems. Only a software issue and quite the opposite. They were not authorized to replace any parts because this was a known software issue. So why now are they telling me they are going to replace a part? I told them I was not satisfied with that answer and that they had told me that it was not a hardware problem, but a software problem. They claim they can't recreate the problem. So am I supposed to wait for this car to not start on me again or even worse, my wife and kids while they are out and about? This is ridiculous. This is a $49K retail vehicle (I didn't pay that for it and never would have). Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with this type of an issue with any 2011 Chrysler vehicle with the push button start? If so, was it resolved and how?
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-17-2011, 12:07 AM
sidewinder9m sidewinder9m is offline
Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Vehicle: 2006 ACURA TSX
Location: Layton, Utah
Posts: 313
Send a message via Skype™ to sidewinder9m
Default

I had my Citadel for three and half weeks now with 530 miles so far no problem with the push button ignition.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-17-2011, 12:34 AM
IndyDurango's Avatar
IndyDurango IndyDurango is offline
Champion
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Vehicle: 2000 Demon Durango SLT+
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,822
Default

1) Use paragraphs. That text-block is nearly unreadable.

2) The replacement part isn't authorized by who? If they want to swap a part, let them.

3) If it fails again, take it back again as a lemon.

4) Your dealer sounds like they suck. Look for another one.

5) Pioneers get the arrows and stake the claims. You get the advantage of being one of the first Gen3 owners for all the Oohh's & Aahh's. You also get the arrows from buying the first release of an all new Generation vehicle. Bare with them as they work out the bugs.

6) Misc electrical issues are being reported.

7) Remember, the D was supposed to be a 2012 release, 2011 was a push to get it out.

IndyDurango
__________________

- Truck of the Month: 12/2006 & 06/2012 DodgeForum.com;
01/2006 DurangoClub.com; 07/2007 Dakota-Durango.com
- Durangoer of the Year: 2006 DurangoClub.com

Last edited by IndyDurango; 05-23-2011 at 12:36 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-22-2011, 09:29 AM
MRaymond MRaymond is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2
Default

2011 Durango Citadel Pushbutton Start Problems
I had a very similar problem with my 2 month old Dodge Durango Citadel just yesterday on 5/21 the vehicle just turned 3,000 miles, My wife and I were traveling on the New Jersey Turnpike about 150 miles from home and stopped at a rest area. When we returned to the vehicle I pushed the start button and nothing happen, the screen said “Key not detected” of course I tried several times, then the screen said “Key Damaged”. Only having one key I was stuck, I then called roadside assistance they were no help and very rude. This happen at 8:30AM, I was able to reach the dealership that I purchased the vehicle from at 9:00AM once again they were no help, they said you need to tow the vehicle to a dealership. I then called back road side assistance all they would do for me is give me an 800 number for the Turnpike Authority tow service, they wouldn’t even dispatch a tow truck because I was on a toll road….

When the tow truck arrived he couldn’t get the vehicle in natural to place the vehicle on the flat bed, the dealership also couldn’t help him, and they had no idea how to release the shifter. So the vehicle was then DRAGED onto the flatbed with the rear wheels locked. Once at the dealership one of the mechanics found the release button in 1 minuet (it’s under the cup holder in the front console), then in 5 more minutes the same mechanic called me to the vehicle, he said that my Key Fob is defective and needs to be replaced; in the meantime he popped out the start button and showed me how to use the Key Fob as a key to start the vehicle. The Fob just inserts into the hole where the button came out of. All the functions work but the hand release when you touch the handle to unlock and lock the door. They also said that these keys are on a massive national back order and it would be some time before I could get it replaced.

When I arrived home later that evening I replaced the start button and was able to use my spare key fob with no problem. That tells me that the problem is defective Key Fobs and they already know about it. How many people will be stranded before they even notify their dealers that there is a problem and explain that there is a bypass for the key and the where the release button is for the
Shifter?

I was stuck on the highway with no assistance from road side, 5 hours out of our trip and a $255 tow bill that I was required to pay out of my pocket. I was told by the dealership that It is my job to write a letter to Dodge explain what happen and request reimbursement of the Tow bill, that’s very poor customer service. I am now second guessing my self for purchasing a Chrysler product.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-23-2011, 12:36 AM
IndyDurango's Avatar
IndyDurango IndyDurango is offline
Champion
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Vehicle: 2000 Demon Durango SLT+
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,822
Default

See #5 above
__________________

- Truck of the Month: 12/2006 & 06/2012 DodgeForum.com;
01/2006 DurangoClub.com; 07/2007 Dakota-Durango.com
- Durangoer of the Year: 2006 DurangoClub.com
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-24-2011, 09:50 AM
MRaymond MRaymond is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2
Default

See #5 above…
“5) Pioneers get the arrows and stake the claims. You get the advantage of being one of the first Gen3 owners for all the Oohh's & Aahh's. You also get the arrows from buying the first release of an all new Generation vehicle. Bare with them as they work out the bugs.”

This is no answer to a customer buying a $47K vehicle that is loaded with “bugs”. If Chrysler Corp. expects to compete with the industry and there are many options for the public to choose from, also there was nothing in the sales pitch or the fancy sales brochure about bearing with us while we work the bugs out….. and expect to pay for the towing expense if you are stranded on the road…
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-24-2011, 11:17 AM
sidewinder9m sidewinder9m is offline
Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Vehicle: 2006 ACURA TSX
Location: Layton, Utah
Posts: 313
Send a message via Skype™ to sidewinder9m
Default

One thing about Acura for their customers a great program included when buying their vehicles is the Roadside assistance program so if you get stranded you can just make phone call and they will assist, Dodge/Chrysler needs to have a program like this if they want increase their customer base.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-24-2011, 08:12 PM
r-rango r-rango is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2
Default Follow Up

Well, got the Durango back. They replaced the TIPM module and did a flash upgrade to the wireless receiver module. So far, so good. Chrysler does have a Roadside Assistance Program, which I did use and did get my vehicle towed (after 3 tow trucks came out with flat beds that I was not about to let them drag my new vehicle onto - this was prior to finding the shift interlock switch that allowed me to get the vehicle into neutral). I did learn some valuable information. 1. The start pushbutton comes out and you can use your regular key 2. Found the shift interlock switch under the cup holder closest to the dash. 3. Probably not a good idea to buy the first year of a newly redesigned model. 4. Chrysler is still not quite on par with some of the other automakers when it comes to quality. Hope nobody else has problems with their Durango. If there's a bad one in the bunch, I'll be the one to get it. Happens almost every time with one exception, my 2004 Dakota 4x4 Quad Cab. Still going strong with no major problems - 103,000 miles!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-21-2011, 11:00 AM
barshotz barshotz is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1
Default

I just joined this forum after going through the same exact problem and receiving very little help. Why don't service managers read these forums? Unless they do and the choose not to be helpful.

I've been a Lexus owner for the past seven years, two new and one certified pre-owned. Their customer service is outstanding. What a shock when I had this problem.

After having the tow truck driver drop me off at the dealership, because he couldn't get the truck in gear, the service manager said I should have called roadside assistance. (I called AAA). Then, instead of calling for me, he handed me the number of the tow service they use all the time. "Our guys know how to tow". The driver still had to dolly the car into the dealership. What a picture that would be to put on the internet!

I tried popping the start switch and using the keyfob to start the car but that didn't work. I had my wife bring out the second fob, no help. I'm bringing it to the selling dealership today for a complete checkup.

Two weeks after purchase I had a ping through the steering shaft, ... I'll start a new thread for that.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-30-2011, 11:50 PM
JRRF JRRF is offline
Captain
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 557
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDurango View Post
5) Pioneers get the arrows and stake the claims. You get the advantage of being one of the first Gen3 owners for all the Oohh's & Aahh's. You also get the arrows from buying the first release of an all new Generation vehicle. Bare with them as they work out the bugs.

6) Misc electrical issues are being reported.

I have bad news for you. Newer cars with advanced electronics and software are always going to have bugs that need to be fixed. It is a far cry from when cars "got better" as the years passed. Heck, the space shuttle had software discrepancies until the final landing. I'm not saying this as an excuse, but it's simply a reality. And if you think other ("high end") cars are much better, go read a BMW forum.

As for customer service, Dodge definitely has a ways to go, and that has nothing to do with new/old/technology -- just commitment to customers.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-31-2011, 03:33 PM
IndyDurango's Avatar
IndyDurango IndyDurango is offline
Champion
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Vehicle: 2000 Demon Durango SLT+
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,822
Default

Uhhh... yea... we agree. Perhaps you were not responding to me.

ALL cars have issues. Most referred to in this thread as "I should have bought an XYZ instead" are $20,000-$40,000 more money and none the better in reality.

+1 on customer service. Sometimes depends on who you get and when you get them.

IndyDurango
__________________

- Truck of the Month: 12/2006 & 06/2012 DodgeForum.com;
01/2006 DurangoClub.com; 07/2007 Dakota-Durango.com
- Durangoer of the Year: 2006 DurangoClub.com
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-02-2011, 08:13 PM
D-Go D-Go is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2
Default You

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRaymond View Post
2011 Durango Citadel Pushbutton Start Problems
I had a very similar problem with my 2 month old Dodge Durango Citadel just yesterday on 5/21 the vehicle just turned 3,000 miles, My wife and I were traveling on the New Jersey Turnpike about 150 miles from home and stopped at a rest area. When we returned to the vehicle I pushed the start button and nothing happen, the screen said “Key not detected” of course I tried several times, then the screen said “Key Damaged”. Only having one key I was stuck, I then called roadside assistance they were no help and very rude. This happen at 8:30AM, I was able to reach the dealership that I purchased the vehicle from at 9:00AM once again they were no help, they said you need to tow the vehicle to a dealership. I then called back road side assistance all they would do for me is give me an 800 number for the Turnpike Authority tow service, they wouldn’t even dispatch a tow truck because I was on a toll road….

When the tow truck arrived he couldn’t get the vehicle in natural to place the vehicle on the flat bed, the dealership also couldn’t help him, and they had no idea how to release the shifter. So the vehicle was then DRAGED onto the flatbed with the rear wheels locked. Once at the dealership one of the mechanics found the release button in 1 minuet (it’s under the cup holder in the front console), then in 5 more minutes the same mechanic called me to the vehicle, he said that my Key Fob is defective and needs to be replaced; in the meantime he popped out the start button and showed me how to use the Key Fob as a key to start the vehicle. The Fob just inserts into the hole where the button came out of. All the functions work but the hand release when you touch the handle to unlock and lock the door. They also said that these keys are on a massive national back order and it would be some time before I could get it replaced.

When I arrived home later that evening I replaced the start button and was able to use my spare key fob with no problem. That tells me that the problem is defective Key Fobs and they already know about it. How many people will be stranded before they even notify their dealers that there is a problem and explain that there is a bypass for the key and the where the release button is for the
Shifter?

I was stuck on the highway with no assistance from road side, 5 hours out of our trip and a $255 tow bill that I was required to pay out of my pocket. I was told by the dealership that It is my job to write a letter to Dodge explain what happen and request reimbursement of the Tow bill, that’s very poor customer service. I am now second guessing my self for purchasing a Chrysler product.

This is the first year of a brand new vehicle generation.....Why are you complaining about a key fob problem???? As far as releasing the shifter, did you try looking in the owners manual?? Dude if you read it, it contains everything you need to know about the features and the operation of your vehicle. Yeah, I agree the situation can be annoying. But it's the first year!! You are therefore the guinea pig for something new. Period. As far as being reimbursed for the trouble, just call Chrysler directly!!! And be nice. They don't intend for problems to happen.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-03-2011, 01:30 AM
IndyDurango's Avatar
IndyDurango IndyDurango is offline
Champion
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Vehicle: 2000 Demon Durango SLT+
Location: Indiana
Posts: 4,822
Default

+1 D-Go.

Glad to see a first time posting saying the exact same things I was. Opinions obviously differ with the other owner.

IndyD
__________________

- Truck of the Month: 12/2006 & 06/2012 DodgeForum.com;
01/2006 DurangoClub.com; 07/2007 Dakota-Durango.com
- Durangoer of the Year: 2006 DurangoClub.com
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-03-2011, 10:22 AM
jrockwell jrockwell is offline
Rookie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 59
Default

With a car at $44,000 in the year 2011 the "bend over and take it because its the first model response" doesn't apply.

Chrysler has been building cars for about 90 years. They pretty much have it perfected. If something is wrong with a car, they need to hear about it. Don't assume it's a problem that will just go away, and don't let it be addressed in the next years models.

If there is a problem, report it, get it fixed. Don't just shrug your shoulders and say "meh, it's my fault for buying the first year of a new model".
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-04-2011, 11:52 PM
D-Go D-Go is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrockwell View Post
With a car at $44,000 in the year 2011 the "bend over and take it because its the first model response" doesn't apply.

Chrysler has been building cars for about 90 years. They pretty much have it perfected. If something is wrong with a car, they need to hear about it. Don't assume it's a problem that will just go away, and don't let it be addressed in the next years models.

If there is a problem, report it, get it fixed. Don't just shrug your shoulders and say "meh, it's my fault for buying the first year of a new model".
No one is saying he should "bend over and take it". We are suggesting he contact Chrysler directly instead of dealing with inept individuals that don't tAke accountability for the company they work for. Chrysler won't have a problem reimbursing him for the trouble if it is repaired under warranty at a dealer.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-07-2011, 09:15 AM
jrockwell jrockwell is offline
Rookie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 59
Default

This may or may not be related.

Today I was taking apart the "trunk" area to get access to the subwoofer and amplifier. I was about to test the system with everything apart when I received the error "key not detected" when trying to turn the car on.

On the plastic "trunk liner" there is a blue/brown wire that clips in. I left this disconnected when trying to start, thinking it wouldn't matter. But I kept getting this error until I plugged it back in. I am guessing this is one of the, or the only sensor/receiver for the wireless remote? Upon closer inspection it certainly looks like a radio receiver.

It's a small connection and I could see it easily coming loose or the part breaking by dropping heavy objects on it. It possible this connection or that sensor is bad for people who get this error.

I have a few pics if anyone is interested.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-07-2011, 12:53 PM
sidewinder9m sidewinder9m is offline
Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Vehicle: 2006 ACURA TSX
Location: Layton, Utah
Posts: 313
Send a message via Skype™ to sidewinder9m
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrockwell View Post
This may or may not be related.

Today I was taking apart the "trunk" area to get access to the subwoofer and amplifier. I was about to test the system with everything apart when I received the error "key not detected" when trying to turn the car on.

On the plastic "trunk liner" there is a blue/brown wire that clips in. I left this disconnected when trying to start, thinking it wouldn't matter. But I kept getting this error until I plugged it back in. I am guessing this is one of the, or the only sensor/receiver for the wireless remote? Upon closer inspection it certainly looks like a radio receiver.

It's a small connection and I could see it easily coming loose or the part breaking by dropping heavy objects on it. It possible this connection or that sensor is bad for people who get this error.

I have a few pics if anyone is interested.
Please post those pictures for future reference.
__________________
2013 VW Tiguan SEL (AWD)
2011 Dodge Durango Citadel AWD 5.7 hemi - 'SOLD'
2006 Acura TSX
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-10-2011, 03:50 AM
undertow999 undertow999 is offline
Amateur
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 36
Default

How do you remove the push button start cover so you can actually put the key into the ignition hole. My dealer decided not give me an owners manual.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-10-2011, 06:19 PM
sidewinder9m sidewinder9m is offline
Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Vehicle: 2006 ACURA TSX
Location: Layton, Utah
Posts: 313
Send a message via Skype™ to sidewinder9m
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by undertow999 View Post
How do you remove the push button start cover so you can actually put the key into the ignition hole. My dealer decided not give me an owners manual.
You can request the owners manual (3 total) from Dodge its free and ships free also.....here is the toll free no. (877) 847-7166.
__________________
2013 VW Tiguan SEL (AWD)
2011 Dodge Durango Citadel AWD 5.7 hemi - 'SOLD'
2006 Acura TSX
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-11-2011, 02:57 AM
undertow999 undertow999 is offline
Amateur
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 36
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder9m View Post
You can request the owners manual (3 total) from Dodge its free and ships free also.....here is the toll free no. (877) 847-7166.
Right on, thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 02:57 AM
 
 
 
Reply




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Join DodgeForum
Advertising

Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory
Our Sponsors
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:47 PM.

© Internet Brands, Inc.


Contact Details & Emails