3rd Gen Durango 2011+ models

Clunking noise in back of truck

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 07:57 AM
Wash Man
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clunking noise in back of truck

Ok, one or both sides has developed a noticeable "clunk" when I hit even relatively small bumps. Mainly noticeable at low speeds. Called the dealer and he said to bring it in next week for a listen. Any one else have a similar issue with the R/T specifically since it's suspension is different?

Old 04-16-2014, 04:20 PM
pjw1967
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is your 3rd seat up or down? Put them up if they are down. Check the seatbelts. On my cheap little '08 RAV4 there were little clips on the C pillars in which you could stow the second row seatbelts to keep them from banging around. BTW I visited my brother a while back in PA. His wife was complaining about a rattle in the front dash. We went to get beer and I could hear the ratlle while sitting in the passenger seat. I reached over and pulled the garage door clicker off the driver side sun visor. No more rattle. Lets hope it is something simple.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:04 PM
shelbymopar89
Veteran

There are quite a few threads on this, most (including myself) have had rear shocks replaced only to find the same noise. I have just accepted it as I do not have the time to keep going back to the dealer.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:47 PM
daedalus-nj
Amateur

Maybe your mother in law is hiding back there?

-Sorry - couldn't resist -

Old 04-16-2014, 08:54 PM
Wash Man
All Star

Originally Posted by daedalus-nj
Maybe your mother in law is hiding back there? -Sorry - couldn't resist -
Nope she's 1200 miles away right where she belongs

Old 04-16-2014, 09:00 PM
V for Victory
All Star

Wash, just as Shelby stated above, many of us have had the rear leveling shocks already replaced. I had the very same issue you are describing and my shocks were bad. Infact, one of them was leaking. Dealership replaced without blinking an eye as their is a TSB on this very issue. My truck on had 1200 miles on it. Since replaced no clunking, knock on wood. Now if I can just get the rear headrest mechanism replaced to stop the squeeking that is driving me nuts, also a repair TSB on that issue.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:00 PM
FSTDANGO3
Champion

X2 Load leveling shock clunk
STEVE

Old 04-17-2014, 08:34 AM
Wash Man
All Star

I tow my boat less than 1 mile 4 times a year, I tow my lowboy trailer 10 miles twice a year. Do I need the load leveling shocks....no. I sure would like to put in less problematic and smoother riding shocks if these rascals are problem ridden. I love the lower aggressive stance of the RT and I assume the springs are shorter than the other D's to achieve this but if you aren't hauling 12 horses to show every day, you should be able to get a quieter set up.

Old 04-17-2014, 12:30 PM
kingofwylietx
Professional

I had the same noise on my 2011 R/T (maybe after a year). The dealership wasn't helpful at the time, so I dug around with a dead blow hammer.

My sound came from the fibrous wheel well insulation/cover. It was a little loose on one side. I checked all the fasteners and added an additional one.....the sound has never returned. That fixed it. It was pretty much a free fix.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:02 PM
mikeinaz

I had the same issue several months back after going a little too far off road. I did some research on here and found a lot of owners having the same issue and actually found a TSB to replace the rear shocks. I contacted Dodge service and they could not find a TSB so I printed off the # that some people had posted on here. They replaced both back shocks for free and the noise has been 80% eliminated. I am waiting to install some after market units once they become available. Do some research and find the TSB #s and contact your service dept.

Quick Reply: Clunking noise in back of truck