3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Opinions on first Dodge purchase 06-08 Megacab

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 08:59 AM
browntown3
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on first Dodge purchase 06-08 Megacab

Guys, Hello searched the internet and this seemed like a good forum to get a little insight. I have never owned a dodge vehicle of anykind. I am in the market for a truck, looking around at craigslist and autotrader i have found quite a few 06-08 model Megacab 1500's and some 2500s 4x4, most have Hemi's and the ones I've found have around 70-90k miles on them. Prices are anywhere from 16-21k which seems to me like a very good price on these trucks, thats why I've started looking closer and need some advice/opinions.

I'm most interested in reliability, im sure the HEMI has all the power i need, not sure what MPG would be in them. but i have to have something reliable that i can count on which i have not been able to do with the Ford trucks i have owned. So my question is how reliable are these trucks and having owned one......would you buy the same thing again if you had it to do over. Honestly i think i might end up with a Tundra, but i can get alot lower mileage, cheaper dodge megacab with what i have seen thusfar. So really need any insight you guys might have........and i appreciate any advice you can give.

Last edited by browntown3; 05-06-2013 at 09:08 AM.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:18 AM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

Nobody can tell you how reliable a used truck with 70-90k is going to be. Depends where those miles came from and if/how the vehicle was maintained. If you can find one with a good service history, then it should be reliable. I've owned mine since new and, other than routine maintenance, I have replaced an EGR valve, a wiper washer fluid pump, and thermostat gasket. Service history is key with any used vehicle, even though I am the worst at keeping documentation like that. Part of that is because I know I will probably never get rid of the truck until it dies anyway. I'd rather buy one a year older with more miles on it that has a complete service history than to buy the newer one with less miles with absolutely no idea what has and hasn't been done to it. If I were buying a brand new truck tomorrow, I would have to look hard before I'd buy something other than a RAM. I like the Tundras and two of my other vehicles are Toyotas, but they are too proud of them for me to justify the cost, new or used. Unfortunately, I don't have the budget for a new truck right now, with 1 kid in college and another in private school, so I just bought my Dad's 03 Chevy since I am giving the RAM to my son. I know where it's been and how it has been maintained since day 1. So the 90k on it don't bother me a bit.

Last edited by 04HemiGreg; 05-06-2013 at 03:42 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:50 PM
colbyj1986
Professional

I bought my 08 with over 90000 miles on it.

I have notice that alot of 06 and newer trucks have alot of miles on them. I looked at a 2011 1500 with almost 100000 miles on it.

As long as everything is accounted for it should be good. Don't go for the first test drive a few and see how they react with everything. A lot of people don't look under a vehicle, you should see if there might be some under carriage problems

Old 05-07-2013, 07:23 AM
browntown3

Thanks for the replies, i know its hard to say how reliable a used vechicle will be, but i was just curious as to some of the more common problems with these models. Ive looked through the forum, alot of problems guys are having seem to be real hit and miss. From owing other brands there is typically a pretty common problem area among all of them so thats what i was really looking for here and to see what problems you guys have had or what to look for. I totally agree as far as looking underneath REALLY good. I bought an F250 a couple years ago i looked underneath just had a little surface rust on the frame not bad at all, bought it once home washed it and had a chance to look at it real good, found all kinds of rust on the bottom of the door frame, just about made me sick, i ended up treating the rust with an inhibitor and sold it before it started to come through on the outside of the door. Lesson Learned.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:43 AM
ewing111
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah, you can look through the common problems sticky https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...e-posting.html

that covers most of the "common" problems, but honestly most of the guys who have had their trucks since day 1 and taken care of them have been rewarded with good reliable trucks. If you buy a used one, sure there's a chance that it will break down, but if you can find one with a service history, and start out with a full tune up with fluids, plugs, sensors (O2, egr, crankshaft come to mind), TB cleaning, new air filter, etc, you will probably eliminate 90% of what might happen. You may have to do things like replace ball joints (non-greasable oem), wheel bearings, shocks, etc, but that is pretty normal 100-125k, so just be sure you have some cash to take care of normal used car upkeep. It's likely that with proper care you will not be the victim of any catastrophic failures, but nothings 100%. Are the mid to late 2000 dodges more reliable than comparable fords, chevys or toyotas? Maybe...I would like to think so, certainly they're not any worse, there's just so many factors that go into a used car its tough to get a straight answer. Find one well taken care of and take care of it yourself and you've given yourself the best chance possible. Good luck with your decision, post some pictures up if you do find one you end up getting.

Old 05-07-2013, 01:29 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I can get you build sheets on any vehicles you are looking at, just PM me the vins and a email address on where to send them. That way you can at least tell how they came equipped from the factory. I will also check for any open recalls or warranty restrictions that may appear on these vehicles.

Only other suggestion would be to have a mechanic look the vehicle over before you buy. Might cost you a little up front but save you money in the long run.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:10 AM
msorbara10
Rookie

If you look it over good, under the truck, under the hood, ofcorse service reports are a plus, take it for a nice test drive. If your happy with it and plan on taking care of it I dont think you can go worng with the ram. Chevy Ford and Dodge all make good trucks. I like the rams the best but no matter what brand you get they are all going to have bananas produced. If you do buy it, just try to start you own matenence log like I did.
When I bought my 04 about 4 months ago. I nedded new spark plugs and I just did lots of other things such as engine oil, front and rear dif, will be doing tranny soon, also brakes in a month. Although some of these arent necessary now, they probly will be soon but its just piece of mind so I know when everything was changes out so I can keep a log of my own and know when everything was done.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:10 AM
browntown3

Found this truck local, asked alot of questions everything seems to be good to go on it, just have to do a carfax, what do you guys think of this truck? Made in mexico does that make a difference ?
http://knoxville.craigslist.org/cto/3775599175.html

For Sale - 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 MEGA Cab 4x4

4x4, SLT, 77,700 Miles, Silver, Running Boards, New Tires, Tow Package, Wood Trim, Power Doors/Windows, Electric Drivers Seat, Tool Box, Lots of interior storage, Very clean interior and body. This truck has more interior space and leg room than most cars!!!

PRICED WAY BELOW KBB at $17,900 OBO

Attached Thumbnails Opinions on first Dodge purchase 06-08 Megacab-3e33i33na5i65nf5e9d4ufb4588bd556a1ca8.jpg  

Last edited by browntown3; 06-05-2013 at 11:14 AM.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:00 PM
jnellydodge
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like a good one.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:54 PM
msorbara10
Rookie

I like that. it looks clean price isnt too bad. Drive it, work him down. If you like it go for it

Quick Reply: Opinions on first Dodge purchase 06-08 Megacab