3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Mega Cab AC Problems UPDATE/SOLUTION!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 11:05 AM
SteveF
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Mega Cab AC Problems UPDATE/SOLUTION!!

I myself own an 06 Mega cab and notice that the putting around town makes it a bit tough to deal with the A/C trying to catch up. One thing I did was I ended up tintingthe2 read door windows and rear window with 5% and the driver and passenger doors with 20%. Made a HUGE difference on keeping the cab cooler in the summer. My analogy was, keep the cab cooler, therefore the A/C doesn't have to work so hard to cool it down. I drove through from CA to Ohio last summer at 110 from Barstow thru Amarillo and it was mice and chilled in the cab.

Just thought I'd share.

Old 04-22-2008, 11:35 AM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don;t have any other megacabs to compare to, but I don't seem to have a problem. My cab will cool down in about 5 minutes from start up no matter how hot it is. Now living in south Florida, I am used to starting up and letting cool down as I have been this with every single car I have had for the last 11 years living down here. I look at it as the same when I lived up north and had to letthe car warm up for 10 minutes before I would drive it in the winter.

Now my windows are tinted as well, but I never run my fan on high (to damn loud), and my truck gets nice and cool.

So with that said, has anyone that has had problems actually gone and had their pressure/frion checked. It is not unheard of that the pressure has dropped or frion leaked out from a faulty schrader valve, and the dealer doesn't want to mess with this.

Also, my ac could be the same as everyone elses, but since it only gets cold down here like 10 days a years, my blood is to thin to notice that the cab is to hot.

Just a couple of thoughts

Old 04-22-2008, 02:10 PM
Timmerduder
Veteran

Well I'm in Oregon and I just got my 08 MC in January.... We have had a few warm days (near 80) and I haven't had a problem. Maybe they fixed this problem in the newer RAM's ?

Old 05-12-2008, 04:48 PM
tjsaye

I purchased a 2006 Dodge Mega Cab in Jan of 06 and have hadthe acblending doors break twice under warranty which were fixed. I now have 61,400 miles on my truck and the warranty is out. The blending door again went out and the the recirculation air will not work and the fan speed doesn't work good so the AC will not cool fast enough. So I decided to take the truck back to the local dealer where I bought it from. Well while on my way the AC compressor went out. I advised the service advisor that I was not a happy camper ref to the AC issues. We called Dodge to see if they would still cover it even though it was out of warranty. The Rep for Dodge would not help. Anyone else out there with the same problems.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:22 PM
Rhinocab
Default Mega cab a.c. issue....

I actually dropped the dash and found the 2 screens. They were cakes with dust and definitely clogged. So I cut them out and put the dash back up. Those screens are not easy to get to. Anyways. It did triple the blowing force to the front a.c. vents. Unfortunately the back gets zero air now. And I feel bad for my kids. Summers here suck and I love my mega cab. Hopefully someone knows how to fix this problem. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I got limo tint all the way around and even did a 15% on the windshield. It helped but not enough..

Old 07-31-2017, 09:50 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

put some screens back in?

Old 07-31-2017, 09:56 PM
Rhinocab

I was actually thinking about that but then I'll be back at the beginning. With little to no a.c. upfront hahha. Mayne there's something else I could use. The screens were pretty tight. As small as the screen they put in faucets

Old 08-01-2017, 10:51 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

They were using the restriction presented by the screen to divert air into another path. Removing the screens removes the restriction, so, the air follows the path of least resistance. So, without putting some flavor of restriction in there, airflow to the rear is going to be compromised.

Old 08-01-2017, 11:56 AM
Rhinocab

I wish there was a way to have 2 separate units. Using the standard unit that they use on their quad cabs just doesn't work for the mega cab. Even when I use my remote start 15 min before I get in to my truck it just doesn't really do much of anything

Old 08-01-2017, 12:12 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Having the screens easily removable, so you could clean them every now and again, would have been a good plan.

Quick Reply: Mega Cab AC Problems UPDATE/SOLUTION!!