3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:25 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

Maintenance: Shop or Do it yourself?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 10:47 AM
kiggy74
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maintenance: Shop or Do it yourself?

Hey, I'm not really all that new, but more of a lurker. I've referenced this forum quite a bit over the last couple of years.

I'm on my second Ram, the first was an '02 QC 4x4 5.9L. After a brief affair with a BMW I decided I wanted my truck back, and last year picked up a used '05 QC 4x4 5.7L, which is almost completely identical to the first one.

At any rate, my '05 is just over 50k miles, and I'm quickly creeping up on the 60,000 mile service interval. This truck had 30k miles on when I got it, and I know it had been used for towing.I've already had the 30k mile service done.I tow a small trailer myself from time to time, so I probably will choose to stick with the prescribed service intervals.

I just started flipping through the service manual for this truck, and I'm getting the sense that most of the maintenance items aren't difficult to do. I'm not afraid to wrench. I build and race motorcycles, but have always been more cautious with tinkering on my cars because I'd hate to screw something up.But if there's a way to save money and learn more about how my truck works, I'm all for it.Sowhich of the standard service items do you do yourselves?

Old 07-27-2008, 11:14 AM
rtmtrrdr
All Star
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Maintenance: Shop or Do it yourself?

my milage is about the same too.I'm going to do all the ones i can do myself.alot of them i already know how to do,but the ones i'm not really sure how to do i'm going to go to auto zone and ask them how to do it.most of the time they'll tell me if it actually possible for me to do it or if i have to take it to a shop or not

Old 07-27-2008, 12:42 PM
Ben D.
Champion

tranny flush is really the hardest. all else is a cakewalk.

Old 07-27-2008, 01:41 PM
bigmudder77
Professional

dont go to auto zone the or at least the one around me they dont know any thing i go in there and most of the time have to look up the parts on my own cause they dont know how to find it

its kinda simple to do the work if you know what your doing

i build bikes also takes me usually a day to get one together IF i have all the parts

i replaced a 5.2L motor just with hand tools and a engine lift in 15 hours 3 days part time

so if you have tools you can get most of the stuff done

only thing you cant do is what requires tools you dont have

thats the way i look at it

Old 07-27-2008, 04:58 PM
kiggy74
Amateur

What's hard about the tranny service? That's actually the next task I was considering doing myself, at least a fluid and filter change.

Old 07-27-2008, 05:44 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

I do it myself...you save money, you use better fuilds/parts while saving said money and you know the job was done with care while being done correctly.

Old 07-29-2008, 12:48 PM
JETman04

EVERYTHING!!!I do everything unless my engine blew up or something.I just dont trust people with my truck.

04 Ram 1500 4.7 larimie with borla exhaust,Jet chip,edelbrock racing shocks,and superchips microtuner

Old 07-29-2008, 03:00 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

mmstar's engine was just about ready to blow up, caught a HUGE problem that would have totally wrecked his motor. and he still fixed it himself with help from forum members talking him through it. saved hundreds

Old 07-29-2008, 05:13 PM
dreman
Professional

The only time my truck sees a shop is if it's under warranty or if I just don't have time to mess with it right now.

Just a quick question, though. You don't mind working on something that could leave you flying through the air at high speed if you miss tightening even a single nut, and yet you are reluctant to work on your truck?

Old 07-29-2008, 10:27 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tranny service is very easy, if a bit messy.

Quick Reply: Maintenance: Shop or Do it yourself?