3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2004 Ram 1500 5.7 hemi dies at idle.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 05:45 PM
Adam W
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Ram 1500 5.7 hemi dies at idle.

It idles great. No codes. When I stop at a stop light or am going slow around a corner it will shut off randomly with no warning. Ive changed the throttle body, put a new gas cap on it, changed the ignition switch (which was burnt on 2 prongs) and it still does it! I am just at a loss. Ive been googling and a lot of other people have the same problem, Ive tried all the answers I could find with no luck. I havent changed the egr valve because I changed it about 2 years ago because the light came on and there was a code so Im thinking thats not it. Got new plugs, plug wires about a year ago. No misfires, idles great so I don't think it's a fuel issue. Alernator is above 14v when its running. Any advice would be great!

Here's some diagnostic data logged by my Bluetooth obd2 app while idling. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8B...p=docslist_api

Here's a video of the rpms when it dies
Fuel pressure test when dying

Last edited by Adam W; 09-13-2015 at 04:24 PM.
Old 09-12-2015, 06:05 PM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

With all those things done, the only thing I can personally think of would be the EGR valve again. As I explained to someone in a different thread, it's not uncommon for these things to go south with very little time on them. I can't explain it, and I don't know if it is certain brands that do it more than others, but I know that it's happened to me and if you read around here it's happened to others. The only thing that throws me is no code.

It is a relatively inexpensive part and a quick DIY. It would cost you less than taking it somewhere and paying for an hour's labor to have them try and figure it out. Hopefully someone else has a more definitive answer.

Old 09-12-2015, 07:05 PM
p38251
Record Breaker

Did the throttle body come with a new tps?

Old 09-12-2015, 07:17 PM
Adam W

I think the tps is in the throttle body. I know the idle control module is.

Old 09-12-2015, 10:09 PM
gcburkett
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 5.7 has a sensor on the accelator pedel inside the cab. Seems like there would be other symptoms if that sensor was acting up. I would be useful to see your long term fuel trim numbers. Does it happen often. If it can be reproduced data logging while it happens might give some insight. Kind of wondering if you don't have a vacuum leak but normally it shows up with a rough idle.

Old 09-12-2015, 10:16 PM
Adam W

Originally Posted by gcburkett
The 5.7 has a sensor on the accelator pedel inside the cab. Seems like there would be other symptoms if that sensor was acting up. I would be useful to see your long term fuel trim numbers. Does it happen often. If it can be reproduced data logging while it happens might give some insight. Kind of wondering if you don't have a vacuum leak but normally it shows up with a rough idle.
It happens about half the time I stop. Starts right back up. I do have a Bluetooth odb2 reader. I can see if one of my apps will log fuel info. I just got it so I haven't played with it much. I know it logs some info though.

Old 09-12-2015, 11:07 PM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I have a Bluedriver OBD reader, and it shows fuel delivery real time. I love the thing. It will pull up a lot of things that don't pop off as an actual code -- hidden problems.

Old 09-12-2015, 11:41 PM
Adam W

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8B...p=docslist_api
Hopefully that link will work. Maybe it will mean something to someone. It's logged data. Truck dies at the end while idling.

Old 09-13-2015, 08:46 AM
gcburkett
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like you got it to happen just sitting at idle for about 12 minutes. I am not an expert but the data looks like you engine in running quite well up until it dies. Do you have a fuel pressure gauge. I would monitor the fuel pressure and see if it drops right before it dies. The calculated fuel rate went up before it died so its like the system tried to respond to the RPM drop. But I don't know why you would not see this type of problem while its driving at highway speed. Hopefully some others will take a look at the data.

Old 09-13-2015, 04:18 PM
Adam W

Originally Posted by gcburkett
Looks like you got it to happen just sitting at idle for about 12 minutes. I am not an expert but the data looks like you engine in running quite well up until it dies. Do you have a fuel pressure gauge. I would monitor the fuel pressure and see if it drops right before it dies. The calculated fuel rate went up before it died so its like the system tried to respond to the RPM drop. But I don't know why you would not see this type of problem while its driving at highway speed. Hopefully some others will take a look at the data.
I added a fuel pressure test video to my original post. It's on the low end of what it should be running and when it's off with key in the on possition.

Last edited by Adam W; 09-13-2015 at 04:35 PM.

Quick Reply: 2004 Ram 1500 5.7 hemi dies at idle.