3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

V6 and V8 swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 08:40 PM
giffordFL
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V6 and V8 swap

Has anyone swapped a 3.7v6 with a 6-speed manual, to a hemi? I want to keep the trans for now if I can but i want to know if you have to make new mount or if the manual trans will even bolt up. Help, i want to start pricing this out soon!

Old 03-04-2009, 08:46 PM
raminator08
Record Breaker

i probably wouldnt go with a hemi if you be wanting to swap out engines. its going to take a lot of work to make it fit. the 4.7 would be a lot easier since its basically the same as the 3.7 except it has 2 more cylinders.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:13 PM
chambers
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try posting in the regular 3rd gen forum, you should get more info that way.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:16 AM
derricksmash
V6 Ram Moderator

yea...the 5.7 wouldn't be anymore than the 4.7 in the grand scheme of things - on that note throw a blown 440 in it. engine cost is the least of your worries...installing it and making it work is what the real price is. can u do it all yourself?

you're looking at have someone having to remount this engine, AND get the controller. Do you want a speedometer? tachometer? a/c? power steering? do u want a heater? an alternator for your headlights and everything else. u have to cool it somehow. your driveline is gonna be shortened i assume. can't use same tranny. do you want fuel injection?

put it this way, if you're gonna put all the money into it to make a hemi, what's the point? if u wanna throw something into it, make it hell of a lot better than a 5.7 "hemi". there is nothing hemi about the thing. get an old school hemi...one that's actually got hemispherical ****. the notion of a "HEMI" completely means nothing to me when 1) u can't tie it to a manual tranny and 2) the concept of mds.

i dont care what anyone says, but an engine swap would cost like 10,000.

everyone says this, but why don't u just trade in for a hemi? the cost is well cheaper than an engine swap. and is ANY shop gonna warranty your engine replacement for life? it's a custom drivetrain at that point, and it's gonna take just as much work to make it a 5.7 ram as it would be a 500hp hotrod.

and why does everyone say this crap about the 3.7 being a shorter 4.7? any v6 is a shortened v8. 3.7 and 4.7 have comepletely different bores/strokes...completely.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:49 AM
nitestalker

I talked to a guy that works for Dodge and his advice was to do a 4.7 swap if anything. He says that it will need an ECU (flashed at dealer with your vin). The engine wiring harness and he recommends the radiator. I found a complete 4.7 with acc for $1500 out of an 05 that was rear ended. Motor mounts were cheap so that may be the route I take if I swap at all.

Old 03-05-2009, 05:13 PM
derricksmash
V6 Ram Moderator

^^ good call

Old 03-07-2009, 09:21 PM
raminator08
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by derricksmash
yea...the 5.7 wouldn't be anymore than the 4.7 in the grand scheme of things - on that note throw a blown 440 in it. engine cost is the least of your worries...installing it and making it work is what the real price is. can u do it all yourself?

you're looking at have someone having to remount this engine, AND get the controller. Do you want a speedometer? tachometer? a/c? power steering? do u want a heater? an alternator for your headlights and everything else. u have to cool it somehow. your driveline is gonna be shortened i assume. can't use same tranny. do you want fuel injection?

put it this way, if you're gonna put all the money into it to make a hemi, what's the point? if u wanna throw something into it, make it hell of a lot better than a 5.7 "hemi". there is nothing hemi about the thing. get an old school hemi...one that's actually got hemispherical ****. the notion of a "HEMI" completely means nothing to me when 1) u can't tie it to a manual tranny and 2) the concept of mds.

i dont care what anyone says, but an engine swap would cost like 10,000.

everyone says this, but why don't u just trade in for a hemi? the cost is well cheaper than an engine swap. and is ANY shop gonna warranty your engine replacement for life? it's a custom drivetrain at that point, and it's gonna take just as much work to make it a 5.7 ram as it would be a 500hp hotrod.

and why does everyone say this crap about the 3.7 being a shorter 4.7? any v6 is a shortened v8. 3.7 and 4.7 have comepletely different bores/strokes...completely.
actually, a chevy 350 might the best engine to swap with. they have good power, are relatively cheap, and pretty simple. if you get a carburated 350 then its really easy to tune without any electronice work. just turn a little screw then

Old 03-08-2009, 02:38 PM
derricksmash
V6 Ram Moderator

^^

that's what i tell every single person in here. her a crate carbureted engine. make sure it has power steering, ac, and an alternator and you're good to go. but why a 350? for another grand get a blown 454 or some crap.

but yea, then a tranny. those two things alone (engine + tranny) you're looking at 10k already.

Old 03-08-2009, 08:37 PM
raminator08
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by derricksmash
^^

that's what i tell every single person in here. her a crate carbureted engine. make sure it has power steering, ac, and an alternator and you're good to go. but why a 350? for another grand get a blown 454 or some crap.

but yea, then a tranny. those two things alone (engine + tranny) you're looking at 10k already.
you could probably get a 350 a lot cheaper than a 454 and it would be a lot of easier to find if lets say you wanted to get a used and rebuild the way you want it

Old 03-10-2009, 05:08 PM
7mmmag1
Professional

get a car or at least a different vehicle than your daily driver if you really wanna go fast

just enjoy the 3.7 for what it is, and add another vehicle to the garage if you wanna talk serious horsy power

Quick Reply: V6 and V8 swap